HybridZ

R180 finned diff cover

Gareth. J.

Hey guys. I bought a new R180 finned diff cover from Wolf Creek Racing. When it arrived I noticed it looked a little rough, upon further inspection there's several issues needing attention and they have been unable/unwilling to give me solution to other than 'return it to us, pay for shipping and we'll waive the 15% restocking fee' WTF!

Anyhow back to the topic at hand, the bottom edge and two lower bolt holes have what looks to be pitting or casting imperfections in them. I'm worried about the quality of the cast aluminium and weather it will hold up on my racecar or crack or leak and ruin my exspensive torsen LSD. They also didn't supply the drain/fill plugs clearly shown in the picture on their site.

Thanks in advance, Gareth.

post-12875-024237500 1338902788_thumb.jpg

post-12875-067058400 1338902804_thumb.jpg

Looks like strictly pitting corrosion. There appears to be adequate smooth surface area outside of the holes for a decent seal with a bit of sealer on the gasket.

If you're concerned, grind out the pits, have it welded/filled back up, re-drill the hole and surface it. Expected stuff for racers with used parts, no?

Buying used parts comes with some risk. His return policy is clearly stated on the site and he offered better than that stated policy.

Won't be a sealing issue if you use any kind of silicone sealer. That type of casting porosity is common with those aftermarket covers. You can source the fill plugs locally. And the return policy is normal for products here in the USA.

It is brand new, so I would've expected a smooth surface. I specifically purchased this plain type as it is pictured on their website and also had plugs, it's not shown as the 'Perrin' type. I also asked for plain cast aluminium and instead received a gold powdercoated one. It's all little things that add up to make a small straight swap over to $50-100 exercise on top of original price. I would've expected some quality control on their behalf.

When you look at the order Vs. what was actually sent you have to question what they did get right? At least it came to the right address! Lol.

End of rant :-)

Do you guys have any recommendations for the sealant type? Would an RTV high temp be sufficient? Thanks for your help so far, Gareth.

Edited by Gareth. J.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, this won't fit a 240z with the standard crossbrace. So looks like I'll be going a custom made brace similar to R200 finned cover mod.

I have a late model 240z with the curved moustache bar.

Edited by Gareth. J.