HybridZ

Request 4 dimensions.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This is a general request for help. I have a '78 280 Z with an engine that knocks. I also have an '89 Mustang 5.0 HO motor and an E40D automatic transmission that I want to put in the car. I have a machinist friend that can make me motor mounts but I would like some general information on where to place the engine.

IS the fuel injected engine too tall to fit with a standard 280Z hood? Will the E40D fit in the transmission tunnel with out modification? How far back should I set the engine?

I've been reading some of the entries on the Ford Tech board and I'm amazed at how you guys share the wealth of knowledge. If you would be so kind please share the wealth my way. Karl

Guest Anonymous

You can always take mat'l off the bottom of the Ford lower to to gain a little access I think that was mentioned in the posts that you were refered to in the archives. You'd dig it in a Z, that much I can tell you for sure. :D

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Hey Lone, hope to see you on the 6th.

There are drawings of the mounts I started with on this site (I changed mine a little). Also, "Alsil" has developed a new method for mounting that you may be interested in. Do a search in Ford for Mounts.

Jon

my intake is about 1" below the hood - takes a bit of work but it runs GREAT.. you will never go back to carbs after you have EFI.. and mustang upgrades are just too easy to come by 2thumbs.gif

especially with all the stangs upgrading there is a endless supply of stuf to do

i just got a BBk tbody and egr plate and found a good price on a trick flow track heat efi intake so the upgrades are just beginning -- like it really needs more HP! especially in a car with no roof...

all i want next is alum heads and then i think i am done, already has pro 5.0 shifter and the king cobra clutch

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

You may want to rethink using the E40D trans. That transmission is huge and was only available in Ford pick-ups. It also is extremely complex, uses a lot of power to operate, and, unless properly set-up, is not that reliable in performance applications. They are also extremely expensive to repair/rebuild. Is it possible that you actually have an AOD or AODE? Either of those would be a good choice if properly set-up and they're lighter and cheaper to boot.