HybridZ

280zx wilwood 4p & stock rear brake setup question

BMAC

I have a 79' 280zx with plans for wilwood 4piston front brakes and stock rear brakes. The only thing I am doing for the rear is slotted rotors and portfield pads. I am wondering if I need to install a wilwood portioning valve and/or if there are any other modifications I need to do to the brake system?

• 5 weeks later...

Glad to see there is someone else building up a ZX. I thought that 79-80' had the bigger M/C 15/16. What are you doing for suspension? I currently have tokico shocks and springs, upgraded sway bars, front camber bushing, and all new bushings.

My plan was to install Bilsteins front and back but the rears would have taken 8 weeks to order from the factory in Europe so I decided to put Bilstein inserts in the front and Tokico blues in the rear. I could get the rear Bilsteins from Australia quicker but then the cost just doubled. I'll see how the Tokico's work out, perhaps I'll keep them on, or eventually switch over to Bilsteins on the rear as well. Lowering spring set from Tokico. I wanted GC progressive springs but could not find them anywhere. I expect with the Tokico springs it will further lower the center of gravity by about one inch. I have BFG G-Force Sports on, 225/50-15 on 8 inch wide wheels 0 offsets. They are already lowering the car and pretty stiff sidewalls. All my original OE rubber bushings are good and I don't want to change over to urethane as I still use the car on the street. Also kept the stock sway bars. My goal is not to stiffen it too much and keep some travel in the suspension. I haven't progressed far enough yet to know what alignment adjustments will be needed, I may end up doing slotting on the rear. The engine is still out of the car, doing mods for a goal of 360hp on a NA setup. Also putting a Quaife LSD in and waiting on custom rotor hats from Coleman. Im only doing bigger wilwoods in the front, with a 11 x 1 inch rotor. The stock rear disc brake setup is good enough. I'm not bothered to much with the rear suspension. Wish the rear spring rates on the Tokico's were a little bit more stiffer (I have the longer 2+2) but actually traction with the old motor (218whp) was excellent. There is some advantage to squatting right? I haven't decided on the pads yet, and once the car is on the road will see if I need bigger MC or prop valve to balance it out

Let me know what you think about the tokico setup.

Edited by bigbreak_2000