HybridZ

How to check if ECU is good?

volfan98

Hey all,

I've got a 1977 280Z that i've swapped a 1983ZXT L28ET into. I do not have a history of the motor to know if it was running well or not before it was pulled. I'm using the motor, harness, ecu, afm all from the same donor car. Engine starts and idles (poorly) but wants to die when I rev it. I'm really busy with work right now so a local mechanic who has worked on old datsuns looked at it and told me it needs a new ECU, AFM, TPS, and part of the harness replaced. I wouldn't be surprised about the AFM, TPS, and harness - but how do I know if the ECU is bad? The green light flashes at the appropriate times, and since it starts I had assumed that it was good. Is there any way of testing it before I go out and try to find another one?

Thanks!

Matt

Edited by volfan98

Factory Service Manual has diagnostics.

http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html

I have a hard time believing that all those parts are bad. Sounds like the guy is shot gunning things, but hey, I don't know how well you trust him.

Search on here, there has been multiple discussion of the problem you have, found three in one minute of searching. I can't remeber off the top of my head, but make sure you don't have a leak in the rubber intake hose after the AFM.

Edited by ctc