HybridZ

TV cable for 700R4 ????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was reading a page about going 5spd or 700r4 and BLKMGK mentioned" get someone who knows what there doing and the TV cable adjustment" I am about to put a700R4 into my 72 SBC and would sure like to know,what you mean icon_confused.gif Thanks guys icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pmsimkin:

I was reading a page about going 5spd or 700r4 and BLKMGK mentioned" get someone who knows what there doing and the TV cable adjustment" I am about to put a700R4 into my 72 SBC and would sure like to know,what you mean
icon_confused.gif
Thanks guys
icon_biggrin.gif

TV cable controls the line pressure and subsequent shift quality in combination with other factors. 'search' function has lots....'700R4 TV' had 10 matches and their's likely more.

I wouldn't rec'd CS Transmissions in Nanaimo icon_sad.gif

Well it may have been alright in the end, what happened with me:

car's in Laintzville, Scott Fielding (well he's the owner/builder was an employee) builds tranny in Nanaimo, car moves to Vancouver....trans is installed, I returned to Scott for him to setup my TV cable within 3 wks of starting it up over here....he couldn't get decent shifts so just made sure he had minimum TV and I'd have to come back another day.

PITA as I was no longer near Nanaimo. IMO he should have gotten the 1st build/setup a lot closer than he did. It was shortshifting itself all the time, his governor wasn't close to being adequate. If I'd returned and left it with him a few days perhaps he could have gotten it right. He'd sold me that he'd done them before for lightweight hotrods and it was no trouble......then on payment time he came in ~$200 above the max. price of the range he'd quoted me, which at the time was $1400 AIR (CD). Just didn't all sit that well, maybe mine was a unique one. He was late getting it finished and I'd given him lots of time....my father and I had to wait when we showed up (after him having a few weeks leadtime) for the builder to finish assembling it/choose a tailhousing/speedo gears etc etc.

Get your goals etc in writing and agreed to if he is the main choice you have. At least you're closer to follow up with him than I am/was!

The most important thing to remember about the 700R4 TV (Throttle Valve to anyone else reading... it took me forever to figure that one out), is that the TV cable should be pulled fully open at Wide open throttle.

Most carb's will have some sort of attachment on them to accomodate for the TV cable. I wouldn't worry about a little slack in the line when the carb is fully closed, or slightly open.

The way the TV works, is that is regulates the fluid pressure inside the transmission for the clutch bands. The more the cable is pulled, the more fluid PSI is built up inside the transmission. If the motor is building max power (at WOT), but the TV is only 50% open... the clutch band will not have enough holding force. This is what cause the tranmission to slip and eventually burn up.

Summit sells a TV for something like $36 that is adjustable. You're going to need some creative thinking getting the TV cable to hook up to a kick down bracket, since it's slightly different than the TH-350 kickdown cable. But then, if we weren't already clever, we wouldn't have V8 Z's.

-Andy