HybridZ

32v cobra motor???

Guest Anonymous

These motors are hard to find and they are VERY expensive. You should do your homework before you buy anything! Try to find someone with this motor and measure EVERYTHING! I went with the Ford engine because of the low cost and availability of parts, but I would not have considered doing the Ford swap if I was the first one to do it. The guys over on Stangnet.com are just as crazy about their cars as we are, so you might want to post over there to find some answers.

Guest Anonymous

As Terry said, yard stick it and the space between the Z's strut towers I think you'll find theres not enough room to get it between the frame rails. Thats just speculation, but I've seen a picture of the motor on the floor and it looks REAL wide. It'd make a great swap if it fits though.

Regards,

Lone

I can probably get real-life measurements on one if you'll send me a note offline. My friend's shop often has these motors lying around and I've measured them at least once and posted it here. Not sure where the numbers have gotten to but I can remeasure for you - no biggie. I think this would be a sweet swap IF it will fit, can maybe get measurements on the header flanges too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AlsoRanFPrepared

As I recall the Big Block 460 is smaller in every dimension than the 4.6L DOHC except in length as the water pump sticks out and makes it an inch longer. I had a Cobra and the motor is HUGE! There are also some reliability concerns over the motors and as mentioned above they are expensive.

-Mark

Saw one of those car show shows on Speed Channel last week.

Dennis Gage (the guy with the huge mustache) was looking at a 1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero with a SOHC 4.6 V8. I think it has a full strut suspension to eliminate the shock towers in the engine compartment. He says to the owner "You know that engine is as big as a Boss 429"? The guy says "Bigger" rockon.gif

Worth noting - prices are coming down on these motors and parts for them. The shop I deal with quoted me a figure less than $4K for an entire motor. I was SHOCKED! :eek: Not sure of the source but they're apparently pretty happy to get them for owners who have blown their motors. The Race Pages has tons of parts and shops selling stuff for the mod motors. Way cool!