HybridZ

How much power can a stock 5 speed handle?

Jwink25

I would rather have a 5 speed than the C6 that I have right now. I am planning on building a 300-350HP 289 for my 1971 240Z. In this light of a car with that much power can a stock 5 speed hold up? It will be a mostly street driven car, with some spirited driving every once in awhile. :D

They made some C6 trans with the small block bellhousing. The 351W had some behind it. smile.gif Lot stronger than the C4 in stock form. I heard that the C4 can be made pretty darned tuff and it has lighter rotating mass, which means more power to the wheels.

But, I need to know if a stock 5 speed can handle 300-350 HP in a 2500 LB car.

Thanks!

Jason W.

I talked to Hanlon motorsports about a T5 behind what I am trying to build (a 351 with 450Hp and the word I got was don't put slicks on it. It would be ok on what you are planning to build I think.

Don

But I have decided to run a AOD. That is if my car ever runs now that I'm laid off work. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

From Experience...I've been auto-xing a 320 hp 302(west coast Mustang engine) for about 1.5 years. It is attached to a stock T5 and Nissan 4:11 posi out back. Yes, I run slicks all the way around but their not drag slicks.

No problems with the T5 as of the present.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...