HybridZ

Help with oil pump issues!!!!

Guest Frank280z

Guest Frank280z

I am helping my brother put together his 86 gt. Just swapped in a 351W and Tremec. Now here's the problem. We went to prime the oil pump and it binded up the drill. Didn't think too much of it at the time. Pulled the plugs and squirted oil into there. Now it starts for 3-4 seconds and dies. I feel that that oil pump is shot. Or the pick up is too short. He has a canton 7 quart pan. + the bottom 1/2 engine was built 9 years ago. He is definitely down in the dumps rights now. Is there a process that you guys can tell me to narrow the problem down. He has way too much $$$ in this thing and does not seem too enthuised about another removal....Thanks for all/any input.

Frank

Guest Anonymous

For starters, quit squirting oil in the cylinders. If the oil pump was binding, it may have picked up some gasket material or sealer and that's what's binding the gears. Pull the motor, clean the pump and check the pickup to pan bottom clearance. Look at the cam gear too to make sure it isn't galled or burred. The firing of the motor is a result of correct timing and fuel mixture, not oil pressure (unless you have a low oil pressure ignition cut off). 351W's have a different firing order than 5.0's (except for the HO); check to make sure you have the correct 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Frank280z

OK. Took the engine out. The pick up was clogged. We replaced the pump and the pick up for assurance. He got it all back together again and the same thing happened. After we primed it up. Cranked a few times. Then rr........rr.........rr.........r. Nothing. He feels that the 30lb. injectors are too much. And are drying out the cylinders b4 oil is able to replenish??? I can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

Frank

Originally posted by blueovalz:

I'm not current on modern protection systems, but can I deduce from your post that loss of/lack of oil pressure will shut the engine down on the newer EFI motors? Is he using any remote oil filter arrangements?

To my knowledge, there is only one oil pressure sensor on the 5.0 EFI engines and it goes to the guage on the dash and not the computer.

Maybe Frank280z is right in his idea of the gas washing down the cylinders. I can see how dry cylinders can cause excess friction, causing the pistons to swell and the engine to stop. I had an old 2-stroke boat that used to do that when the oil injection started messing up.

Gene

Guest Anonymous

I'm not very familiar with efi systems, but I'd think 30lb injectors were a bit much; perhaps so much that they are not just washing the cylinders and creating friction, they are also drowning the plugs. Like I said, I'm not very familiar with efi, so this would just be a guess.