HybridZ

Bad Vibration

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I ran an auto-x in Las Vegas yesterday. On about my 4th run I lost it and ran directly over 2 cones. Aftrer I regained control I noticed the 302 was running very rough, almost like I had lost a spark plug wire. I got back to the pits and checked the wires, nothing was wrong. When I got it home I pulled all the plugs and they are burning perfect. Still the vibration is strong enough to feel through the shifter. Any idesa what this could be?

I'll be doing a compression test when I get home from work today.

Brian

Guest Anonymous

Its all the time, wether I'm sitting still at idle or revving the engine and yes, the vibration goes up and down with engine speed. It might be motor mounts that got loose causing the exhaust system to be meeting the frame or drivetrain somewhere...or the exhaust got pushed a smidgen when I hit the pylons...What does a "spun bearing" sound like? The engine was a half quart low on oil and may have been starving for oil although I didn't notice a drop in pressure.

Guest Anonymous

Got all the way under the car last night and with a shop light was able to locate 3 areas the exhaust had been pushed up into the drive train, at the bell housing, at the transmission mount and the differential. I started the engine and got the exhaust good and hot and began prying the exhaust away from the interference. I could pry it away but when I released the pressure the pipe would go back agaist the drive train parts. It must have benn up againt it with a lot of pressure becase although its still touching, the vibration stopped.

My car started to really shake and vibrate last week after racing the week before and it turned out the harmonic balancer(damper) had gone south on me.

Just food for thought! Also if it's an automatic maybe the torque converter?

Good luck!

Mike