HybridZ

freaky swap questions,

evildky

I am putting a 2.3 turbo from an 87 turbocoupe with the world class t5 into my 78 280z, I know this is the v8 ford section but thought you guys might be able to help,so a few questions, how do you guys run the hydraulic for your clutch ? the t-coupe uses only about 1/2 inch stroke, can't be far from datsun stroke ? is the wiring in these integrated to the whole car or is it a seperate harness for the engine compartment and ecu ? just trying to plan out what I am gonna need to do, any ideas suggestions, helpful links ?

Guest Anonymous

With my tremec 3550 I used a 3/4" wilwood pull-type slave cylinder and a 3/4 wilwood master cylinder. I cut the cable mount off the bellhousing for clearance. Next I fabricated a mount for the front of the slave positioned about 3" forward from the back of the oil pan (this measurement is not that critical, put it where you want). My mount is a "T" shape where the top of the "T" bolts to a couple of the oil pan bolts. I was worried about the strenght of the pan bolts and causing leaks and all but it's holding up fine (My pan has a 1/8" steel rail running around it). From the bottom of the "T" I welded an extention tube downward about 2.5" long. Gusseted it, capped it and drilled for a 7/16 bolt. The extention is so the slave lines-up correctly.

The only problem I've run into is the exhaust runs right under the slave and I basically "cooked" the slave cylinder. I made a heat shield and replaced the slave and had zero problems.

This is on a V8. I'm not sure how it would work on a six.

Others have done it differently. If you perform a search you should come across the posts describing their set-ups.

Good luck. 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

I guess it depends how far you need the slave to move to engage the clutch. For me, the OE cylinder was too small. It didn't move enough fluid, meaning it didn't move the slave piston(?) enough. Also, the clutch pedal was way, way too soft.

It's easy enough to hook it up and see if it works for you. Maybe it's right for a 4 banger?