HybridZ

Alsils mount

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got Al's mount and it looks great! Very nice welds and very heavy duty.

I also have my 5.0 engine and transmission coming. 85k mile on the short block with new heads, roller rockers and an E303 cam. Performer RPM and Holley 600 ready to go. I just have to figure out the header issue.

Mike

So how much did he charge you for the mount? And how long did it take him to get it to you? I'm looking to do a 302 conversion fairly soon and if it's worth it to save me the hassle, I might just buy a pre-made mount.

If Alsil read this: Do you have dimensions/plans/Autocad for the mount available?

Thanks

Gene

Guest Anonymous

Al charged me $125 for it including shipping. I got it in about 2 weeks or so. Al is a super guy and I would recommend that mount to anyone swapping in the 302.

I am going to try several header types. I am putting the car on the trailer after the engine is in and a local speed shop is going to let me do some test fits.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey guys how's it going? does anyone know if Alsil's mount will work for me? I have a 1980 280ZX and want to transplant the 289 and C4 automatic from my 1970 ford van. also, is there anyone here who could make and sell me a ford driveline-to-datsun differential adapter? or know where i can obtain one of these?

Guest timhypo

You can get a driveshaft made that'll connect your ford tranny to your datsun rear-end at any competent driveshaft shop for $2-300 (and less in some cases). Just crack open your phone book to the automotive section. The problem with an adaptor is driveline length varies according to how you set your particular engine/tranny in relation to your particular rear end. Also, I'd prolly invest in the JTR manual. Although it doesn't cover your car or your engine/tranny combo, there's alot of really good tips on how to make things work and what just plain doesn't work. Hell, I bought it and decided afterward to install a Ford 302 instead of a Chevy 350, but I'm still sure it's gonna be a big help. Also, if you think about it, the swap is easy due to the large amount of room in the engine bay and the fact that you can do everything and then have someone professional connect the final piece (driveshaft). It's an easy swap, as long as you don't need to drive the car for awhile, have a good sized pool of money saved up, are willing to compromise, and aren't afraid to take it apart. I'm gonna do it and the most complex automotive stuff I've done on my own car is change out a starter. With perseverance it will happen, and if you document it someone just like you will love you for it. It would be great to be in a world where people viewed Datsuns at stoplights in the same way they do Vipers or Cobras...

Problem is in the Z chassis, you have to use a block hugger that has a collector in the middle of the engine, because there isn't enough room for the dowmpipe between the starter and the frame rail. Otherwise I would have used EFI-type headers.

The Sandersons would fit ine, but they're a bit pricey. I went with Hooker headers.

I'm trying to find a pic, but the only pic I have is of the driver's side.... :rolleyes:

Guest Anonymous

Dynomax makes a blockhugger type header that is similar to the Chevy type with the collector in the center. They are the hotrod headers. I am going to trial fit those after the engine is fitted.

Mike