HybridZ

Ive got a tic..

Ill skip the BS and jump right in to the other BS. My car has developed a tick... Twice.

Both times it has been later at night (midnight-2 AM) driving home from a buddies house, both times it has started in the same spot (going up a hill after about 5ish minutes of freeway driving), and lasted long enough for me to get worried, and then its gone by about 5 blocks away from my house and is completely nonexistant by the time i get home. The first time it happened was 2 nights ago, and today was the first time i drove it since, and when i drove it to my friends house around noon it didnt make a peep. It appears to be a recurring thing, but i cant figure out what it is.

When i first heard it i thought it was an exhaust leak, but it sounds too metallic to be a leak. Stuck lifter maybe?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v236/BANDGEEK234/?action=view&current=IMG_0300.mp4

It is very possible the engine is pinging, from the way your describing when this occurs. So a possible fuel octane level issue or brand of fuel issue. Try changing where you get your gas from and use super unleaded, to see if this changes any.

From the Video, it sure sounds like a (collapsed?) lifter making noise. Get a engine stethiscope and touch it to the cylinder head when running. The lifter noise should be more dominate. Take the valve cover off, run the engine again and put pressure on each rocker arm to see which one quiets down the noise. This will locate the offending lifter.

Dexter, i run nothing but 91 octane from Shell, ive never known them to make inferior gas, but my only other option near me is ARCO, which isnt happening. would it ping like that just idling though? i started the video at a dead stop, accelerated lightly through third, and stopped it at another stop light. I would imagine that it would ping like that under load or extreme lugging of the engine, but at idle and part throttle?

rsicard, Thats what i thought. does that tend to manifest it self under those kind of conditions. its just weird because i drove it a couple of times during the day, including an almost equally long freeway drive TO my friends house, and it didnt make a peep.

The other issue is, it is COMPLETELY nonexistant by the time i get home, and the point where i took the video isnt more than a mile or 2 away from my house....

Edited by Fuzzydicerule

Its either a lifter or your imagination.

My guess is a lifter. Its (somewhat) common for these to go bad, especially if you've had the heads off and didn't take the proper care to make sure no dirt got in it. At least you can easily take the heads off while its in the car :)

Its Definitely not my imagination, thats why i took the video =/ Its possible, i did have them out, but they werent out for long and they were in a relatively clean area, although the motor had been sitting in a garage with no VC's for a while before i got it, so that may be it...

That really does sound like an exhaust leak I had at one time. Stick a shop vacuum at your exhaust (and plug the other side if running duals) and have it configured to blow air. Feel around any of the bolt connections (header collection to exhaust, header to heads, etc.). This works very well (I've done it numerous times) for finding leaks.