HybridZ

5.0 wiring harness Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking for information on stripping down the wiring harness for use in my 76 Z. I have a Mustang GT 5.0/T5 combo with complete wiring harness & computer from a 90 GT. The harness is huge, and I need to find a source for tearing it down to the bare minimum. Of course there are the obvious things that need to stay, like the injector harness, throttle position, MAF, oxygen, vacuum, and temperature sensors, ect. I know there must be some little thing that needs to be bypassed to get the thing to run correctly, or run at all. I don't even want to start until I get some advice from someone who has done it before. I know there are a lot of Cobra replicas out there with the injected GT motors in them, and I may have to start checking with that group for help. Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Anonymous

Hello DJ454, I believe Ford Racing makes the

wiring harness you are looking for. It's

designed for street rods, but I'm sure it

would work for your application. Check out

page 24 of the new catalog, it shows what

you need (m12071c302)and (m12071e302) .

Hope this helps.

P.S. I've converted a few cars to efi, and if

you are patient you can convert the existing

harness; If you have some cash burning a hole

in your pocket, or you don't want to hassle

with it, buy the Ford Racing set-up.

if you dont want to spend bucks on aftermarkit harness get ford book(called evtm in dealer tech speak) for year of car engine came from.i work as a tech at a ford dealer and books are very good.put harnes on engine out of car .you can use masking tape to tag notes on wires for fuel pump,etc.it should take about 3 hours with a book.

I have a 1989 5.0L/T5 in my 1974 260Z. I used only the engine portion of the Ford harness. The task of wiring it into the Z seemed daunting when I started. So, I bouoght a book to explain how the system works, and that shows the wiring for various years. The best book out is "Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control, 1988-1993 "by Charles Probst. It is specific to the EEC-IV from 1989-1993. The book contains simplified wiring diagrams, and does a good job of explaining how every component functions.

After reading this book, the wiring for the fuel injection turned out to be about the simplest part of the job.

In the end, I used the harness that goes from the computer to the engine, and the harness that goes to the O-2 sensors. You'll need to supply power and ground to the relay that powers the computer. You'll also have to run a wire from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump.

As for a pump, I am using an MSD EFI pump. The pump is cheap (~$110.00 and so far has kept up with 350HP. Mount the pump so that the inlet is at or below the bottom of the fuel tank. These pump push fuel; they do not pull fuel very well.

Good Luck,

Dan

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the responses. I can get a painless harness from Summit for $460 if need be, but for now I ordered "Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control, 1988-1993 "by Charles Probst through Amazon.com. I also ordered "Tuning & modifying Ford fuel injection". Since I am trying to do this on a budget, I went with a 88 ford truck intake, and plenum. I know the plenum is 2" taller than the Mustang, but after triming the tabs off, cutting off the trottle body mount, and welding a 70mm mount to the side, polishing, and ball milling the top it will look way better than stock. The truck setup will also flow much better. The modifications to the plenum are not finished yet, but I will try to post a picture so you can see what I am talking about. I'm kind of gambling with the truck intake for the sake of looks alone, but I only expect about 270 hp from the motor. Stock cam, new GT40P heads, and headers, plus the intake should get me close to the hp I want. Thanks for the heads up on the book Dan.

• 3 weeks later...

do as Dan suggests,

get the probst manual

then the FMS wiring diagram

if you cant get the FMS one i can mail you a copy for $10

the original harness works fine- why spend $460!