HybridZ

HELP! ls1 swap guys needed

i have this car at my shop that im working on and i just need some quick info from some one who has completed the swap.

the engine crank pulley is really close to the steering rack and the alternator is hitting the mount on the engine cradle. the customer purchased this car with the motor already installed and its a ls3 which i dunno if thats the reason its so close and hitting, but i thought it was the same size as the ls1 but i could be wrong. The person who did the install welded the mount kit which was suppose to be direct bolt in and did a hack job on the transmission cross member so im thinking thats the problem so any help or info would be nice.

smaller pics in post 5

post-14917-008668000 1343839925_thumb.jpg

post-14917-028195800 1343839969_thumb.jpg

post-14917-032891900 1343840011_thumb.jpg

post-14917-018002600 1343840044_thumb.jpg

post-14917-059611700 1343840085_thumb.jpg

Edited by sidewaz

I'm eager to help, but your pictures are too big when I click on them and I can't see the alternator issue. Try re-posting with smaller file sizes, then maybe I can get the picture to fit on one screen. If only the crank pulley is hitting the steering rack, you could try an under-drive pulley to create more room. Try the pictures again and I'll try to make a worthwile suggestion on the alternator. I'm just down the road an hour and a half from you if you want to run down here and see a finished car.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Underdrive pulley is for the crankshaft. For the alternator I did some mods to allowing belt clearance. We machined the countersunk holes on the alt bracket a bit deeper, machined the mount bolts same amount shorter [so they didn't bottom in the block & damage it] as well as face smooth the top of the bolts-providing proper serpentine belt clearance.

med_alternator_adapt.JPG

Thanks for fixing the pictures-perfect. Can you shoot us a picture of the alternator from the top side over the front left fender? Focus down so we can see how much conflict there is from front of mount to back of alternator. Options will include using a truck alternator using only two of the three mounting bosses, cutting off some of the plastic shrouding on the back of the alternator, or going to a high-mount alternator from a corvette or an aftermarket version. Screen name "Cable" is pretty good with that issue. We all have a little trouble with the alternator: it is just such a tight fit. I even trimmed a good bit off of the motor mount to get mine to fit. Problem with changing alternators is that they don't all have the same electrical plugs. Also, every LS model engine seems to have a different front to back accessory pulley spacing, so there can be incompatabilities there too. The underside of that car looks like it has been resting in a crypt full of dead bodies in a New Orleans cemetery-pretty gross.

The underdrive pulley was on my engine when I bought it from somebody else. It has a sticker from SLP.

Edited by RebekahsZ

When I get back to my shop in the morning I'll take more pics. As for the bottom of the car yea it's pretty bad the guy who built it put silicone on everything with a butter knife it looks like lol. And it's covered in dust cause it was in a restoration shop for 20 months that did a horrible job so I'm in rescue mode trying to fix two horrible jobs on this car