HybridZ

Brake warning switch

I believe I'm having issues with the brake warning switch. It comes on under heavy braking, and I believe I can feel the switch in the pedal. Whenever the light comes on I can feel a notch or pop in the pedal and again when it goes out. If the light comes on, hitting the pedal again can cause it to go out. It only comes on under heavy braking.

I've bled the brakes starting from the right rear going to left front. I've adjusted the rear brakes.

Can the switch cause lower pressure on one of the circuits? I feel like the rear brakes aren't effective enough, but this may be because I have parts store shoes and porterfield front pads. Autocrossing, the fronts seem to lock up fairly easy.

The brake warning switch turns on when one of the two brake circuits pressure is a lot lower than the other one (ie failed). I believe the mechanism inside will close off the lower pressured circuit so you do not loose full system pressure and retain some brake usage..

I had this happen to me when I did my rear disc upgrade. A lot of fluid had drained out of my rear brake lines. However, I could not get sufficient new fluid back in because the switch would close off the rear circuit when I would pump the pedal. What I ended up doing is first thoroughly bleeding the master cylinder. Then opened up all the calipers and let the system gravity bleed itself for a good while. This got sufficient fluid past the switch that both circuits would pressurize evenly enough not to trip the switch when I would pump the pedal. I could then proceed to bleed the brakes normally.

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

I can bleed the system normally though, it's only under hard braking that it does anything, moderate pressure braking seems normal.

Left front also seems to lock up before any other wheel, if that means anything to anybody.

Stock everything(good shape) except pads, I forgot to mention it before.

I guess I'll try bleeding the master again, can't hurt.

here's a pic of the switch from the FSM, just for reference.

post-3420-001993600 1344394747_thumb.png

Edited by letitsnow

I suspect what you feel is the master cylinder piston for the side with low pressure bottoming out when the pressure drops too much. The warning light switch is not part of the master and I doubt you would be able to feel its operation in the brake pedal. Perhaps the master cylinder is leaking internally. Does the the pedal sink if you hold steady pressure on it for a while?