HybridZ

5.0 qestions....

Mack

******warning! no Z content******

I need to know a few things about the 5.0, I am doing a 5.0 swap on an 88 RX7 convertible. rotaries are rotten. How the hell does a motor go bad sitting on the shelf?!? I'll tell you how, the teflon coating on the rotor housings flake off and bugger up the seals and your left with 60lbs of compression in both rotors. enough ranting.

1. Will a '94 5spd off of a 3.8 v6 stang fit on an 89 GT 5.0? bellhousing matches the motor, but which starter to use? clutch?

2. Any useful sites you can think of right off hand to get a computer for this beast? how bout wiring diagrams? upgrades for the efi?

3. I have checked out grannys speed shop conversions, they seem reasonable, but are there any others? I need to know what wires to splice where in this mess.....

thanks in advance, you guys are really good when it comess to Z's and generally us non Z'ers are well received as well. Although I have a 72 240Z that will be getting a twinturbo frankenstein L6....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Let's talk about EFI....Oh, first, the tranny will fit with the correct bellhousing and I think the 3.8 & 5.0 liter engines use the same bolt pattern so the 3.8 bell MIGHT fit the 5 Liter...But you will need the correct flywheel and clutch for the 5 liter and the starters are the same between the 3.8 & 5 liter engines...

Now, back to EFI...Why splice anything? Ford did a good job with the original wiring harness in the Mustang and the whole harness I would use in the car...You only need to provide +12 volts and -12 volts to certain leads in the harness and connect the sensors and ECU tothe harness leads and you are good to go..

I hope you have wiring diagrams for the year of harness you plan to use and the car you are swapping into...When I first started swapping engines, I got my diagrams from the reference area of the public library...And it's free...

I have been swapping V8s into Rangers and other vehicles for the last 6 yrs so I have a little info on the matter...If I can help further let me know...

Guest bluex_v1

The 94&95 versions had a longer bellhousing, which may or may not be of benefit for your swap...these were rated at 300 ft/lbs.

I've not read it yet, but if anyone who has ever done a 5.0 swap recommends a book, it is "Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control : All Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Cars and Light Trucks 1988 to 1993"

by Charles O. Probst

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi

I am running a 94 5.0 drivetrain in my RX7. You're welcome to take a look at my pics. PM me and I will give you a hand with as much of it as I can.

Searching this board will help a lot plus you've already gotten quite a few excellent responses.

RX7 Pics

BTW

I am new to this board but have already gotten a lot of great info. Very nice site! :D

FJM57

I put a 95’ 302 in my 240Z, but I am having problems finding alternator brackets for the 95’ motor because of only two years production. Your alternator and idler setup doesn’t look like the stock Mustang. How did you route your belts? What kind of brackets did you use?

Guest Anonymous

Hi John Busch

My brackets are custom one off pieces. I deleted the power steering, ac and air pump components. My belt route is the same as stock but switches the power steering pump location with the alternator. My belt is 3 feet shorter than stock.

I can send you more specific pics if you like.

I switched for weight and wanted to clean up the belt path. You could switch to an earlier setup but would need to go with a different timing cover, you would also lose about 3 inches of clearance on the front of the motor, if that matters.