HybridZ

Major Ford V8

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Alright, I own a '82 280zx and am tired of the little straight six. I'm going to put a Ford 428 scj small block in to the datsun, and what i really need is a good down line on some toqure braces for the body and I also needed to know what kind of problems I should expect with the drive shaft and things like that. Thanks for the input.

Take it in

Let it out

and Hold on tight:burnout:

I have built several big block Fords and you will certianly have plenty of torque, but just remember the BBF are NO rev'ers so run your gearing accordingly. The weight of a 428 and a C6 trans are going to load the Z chasis hard to the front, do everything possible to remove front weight. Battery relocation, light weight front bumper. The stock R200 in 3.54 or taller gearing should hold up, so long as you use traction as your relief valve. There are many excellent tires out there these days, so tire it so you can break it loose at will, result instant chasis unloading. Strut brace it to death, and hang on tight.

Bill

Guest Anonymous

With the proper oiling modifications, cam, heads and modified rocker arm shafts, the 428 can rev up to 7000 rpm without problems. I have a 428SCJ (big block) and I shift it at 7000 rpm. I have been building FE engines since 1965. They are great engines, but at 500 to 650 hp. they should destroy the Z car unless you strengthen the chassis. The unibody tends to twist and rip apart with the torque of the 427 and 428. My engine dynoed at 660 hp at the flywheel. I have had to make many repairs on a 1960 Falcon that is also unibody construction. It would be great to see a Z with a big block, it just will take lots of work and money. Good luck.