HybridZ

l28 in 240 how fast??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am purchasing a 72 240 that has the l28 with n42 and webbers. headers and exhaust. i had a 280 and the speed wasn't amazing but wasn't slow. how fast do you guys say my car should be. will it displease handa boys. the reason i ask is becaus ethis car has the whole suspension is done and there is no lean any direction i lost all feeling for speed. so should i expect to displease the civic accords and so on. its a stock rebuilt engine an so forth.

Thanks

I just purchased a 71 w/N42 block and E88 heads. I think you're combo is a bit better than that.

I haven't really gotten a feel for it yet, but it is definately faster than those Honda's.

I'm expecting I'll see low-15s as-is and to move into the 14s as I get it tuned. I know this doesn't seem like much compared to these SBC guys, but Honda's that can pull that are rare.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

ok i got my car. and its a great inprovement with the l28 in the 240. so much quicker than my 280 was. but i remember my 280 really picking up at higher rpms. now can a miss tuned carb cause the lack of power at top. or lack of air. or points distributor

thanks

zach

Guest Anonymous

Hi Zack, do yourself a favour and get the car tested on a chassis dyno at a reputable place where they will be able to advise you on how to change the characteristics of the car.By changing choke sizes,for example,you can shift the torque curve up or down the rev range.You can change jet sizes and air bleeds and shift power/fuel economy around as well. By altering the cam timing you can also move the engines torque curve around.

I have twin 44mm Mikuni's on my daily driver ( not the zed) and did the above and now have it setup for my needs,I wanted a lot of torque down low and couldn't see the need for all the power being above 5500 - 6000rpm,I found it fell in a hole below 2500rpm and so had the cam timing adjusted accordingly and it now is a stump puller from about 1200rpm. I know this may sound like a lot of mucking around but you have a lot of adjustability in your new setup and you can therefore tailor it to your likes,I mean isn't that why we do all these mods anyway? Well I hope this provides you with some food for thought, have fun above all,

Regards Craig.