HybridZ

Hey ZGOO!-Rotary Swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What did you have to do to set up your Z for the rotary swap? What did it cost, and how difficult was it? Like I said, I am thinking about it myself. Also, does anybody know anything more about that Supra swap I mentioned a while back? Thank you-Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by randy 77zt:

ever see a 20bt 3 rotor mazda twin turbo?engine will fit easy in z

I haven't seen one but they are quite a pricey unit are they not (OEM to a sedan in europe right?)? The v. odd one has been stuffed into a 3rd gen Rx7. The 2 rotor Rx7 model would be nice in a z if you could avoid a lot of their maintenance/breakdown troubles others have experienced. 2 rotor being a fair bit shorter than a 3 rotor which takes a lot of mods on a 3rd gen Rx7 to stuff in.

2 new motors for this one http://www.slip.net/~ysong/redshift.html

if anyone has a good URL on the 3 rotors I'd enjoy reading up on them (even a good 2 rotor writeup would be enjoyed, do they get mpg to match their high hp/litre #'s? (196hp/litre stock)

Guest Anonymous

20B engine Dimensions as submitted to one of the mentioned web sites by a reader: Length 672mm Width 549mm Height 520mm(with accessories), I can't seem to find 13B dimensions.

As for reliability, that's a myth, if a rotary is treated well(not over-revved) and serviced by someone that knows what they're doing it will serve you well. A 20B can weigh between 320-770lbs depending on what you have attached to it(770lbs straight out of a luxury 4 door called the Cosmo). A 20B engine would fit easily in a Z engine bay, the only hassle might be the gearbox since it's in the middle of the engine instead of the bottom. Also, finding a computer to run it can be a problem too(but it has been solved). As for cost, we in Australia can get them for about US$4000.

They're a great engine, very smooth and with a whole bunch of power, 400hp is incredibly easy to get, especially after you replace the twin turbo with one big turbo.

Good reading:

http://members.nbci.com/craigpage/INDEX.HTM

Info on a LOT of rotary engines - read the whole bit on 20B engines, it's good.

http://www.hitman.hm/rx7.htm

20B 1st-gen conversion

http://www.formaz.com.au/current/formaz/news.htm

One that I found while looking for 13B dimensions.

• 3 years later...

3 rotors are incredible... 4 rotors are absolutely insane. you can take 2 2 rotors to make a 4 rotor. a few people have done it before and those things are mean. a guy did that in a rx-7 and pushing over 500 hp normally aspirated! he was running low 10's in the 1/4 easily and was short shifting too.

I was ( and back in a small prvate corner of my mind still am) considering grabbing an FC or FD RX7..... and one of the sites I still read is RX7clubdotcom.... has its share of people we try to avoid, but not as bad as some of our sister Z sites. There are even a couple of LS1 Rexes there, as well as A GN7 :twisted: . Good info, good stickies, and some very knowledgeable peeps. If anyone needs a rebuilt rotary engine, search there for Rotary Revolution, great guy, would fit in here were he a Z-type.

As for reliability, that's a myth, if a rotary is treated well(not over-revved) and serviced by someone that knows what they're doing it will serve you well.

Go to any Rx-7 web site and do a search for "unflood" procedure etc. When is the last time your nissan flooded on you? The Mazda dealer explained the flooding fact of the Rx-7 to me soon after I bought the car.

Also look for blown coolant seal and broken apex seal. Or just check the forsale section of any rx-7 site and you'll see the same.

I drove my rx-7 the same way I drove any of my nissan cars. My pathy has 210,000 miles on it (original engine and trans). My rx-7 started blowing a coolant seal and then blew an apex seal at aprox 100,000 miles on the SECOND engine. I also rebuilt the trans. The car flooded more than a dozen times in the 10 years I owned it. I've never had any of my nissan engines flood..ever (I've had 2 200sx's, 2 maximas and a pathfinder)

Rotaries are fun but they DO have reliablity issues.

I was ( and back in a small prvate corner of my mind still am) considering grabbing an FC or FD RX7..... and one of the sites I still read is RX7clubdotcom.... has its share of people we try to avoid, but not as bad as some of our sister Z sites. There are even a couple of LS1 Rexes there, as well as A GN7 :twisted: . Good info, good stickies, and some very knowledgeable peeps. If anyone needs a rebuilt rotary engine, search there for Rotary Revolution, great guy, would fit in here were he a Z-type.

There are more than a couple LS1 rx-7s out there. see http://www.torquecentral.com

It seems to be a popular swap. However I decided to put a Nissan engine in my FC though. Got to be different I guess. :wink:

Hi - my first post - excellent site BTW.

F.Y.I The famed 20B is from the Mazda JC Cosmo I believe. The trible was an option in these cars only. Most were JDM (Jap Domestic Market) approx 9000 sold with only about 4000ish with the 20B optioned in. This = rare engine :cry: also explains the high $$$ for these units :cry: However would make a rare engine swap and very interesting :P .

Here in New Zealand we get a lot of JDM imports so their might be the odd 20B here 8) no idea on the $$.