HybridZ

4l60e question please help

Ok im prepared to get flamed for asking but I searched and searched and couldn't find what I needed. So my question is will the factory automatic console work with the 4l60e or do I need to buy something in order for it to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

4L60E is electronic. The factory(Datsun) shifter would work with a 4L60. However, someone good with electrics could build a converter to translate the shifter position into the correct signal for the shift solenoids in a 4L60E. Every GM probably has one in it that you could make work.

Wikipedia has good pages on them.

700R4 / 4L60 / 4L60E / 4L65E

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4L60E#700R4_.2F_4L60_.2F_4L60E_.2F_4L65E

4L60E

My linkhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L60-E_transmission

The Jags That Run touch on retrofitting the stock shifter into G.M. Automatics. Someone with the manual within reach can specify if the 4L60E was one of the transmission. But, I went with a B & M Quicksilver and it was a very easy install.

The Jags That Run touch on retrofitting the stock shifter into G.M. Automatics. Someone with the manual within reach can specify if the 4L60E was one of the transmission. But, I went with a B & M Quicksilver and it was a very easy install.

So you are using that shifter with your 4l60e?

4L60E is electronic. The factory(Datsun) shifter would work with a 4L60. However, someone good with electrics could build a converter to translate the shifter position into the correct signal for the shift solenoids in a 4L60E. Every GM probably has one in it that you could make work.

Wikipedia has good pages on them.

700R4 / 4L60 / 4L60E / 4L65E

http://en.wikipedia....4L60E_.2F_4L65E

4L60E

My linkhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L60-E_transmission

It is still manually actuated when selecting Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, 3, 2 and 1. The PCM controls the shifting when it is in 2, 3, and Drive; the shifter just selects the gear. You would have to retrofit the linkage for the appropriate throw when selecting each gear though. Get it wrong and you could fry the transmission.

Ok im prepared to get flamed for asking but I searched and searched and couldn't find what I needed. So my question is will the factory automatic console work with the 4l60e or do I need to buy something in order for it to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Not really a problem. I've installed an LM7 with 4160E automatic transmission into a series 1 240z. Very narrow tunnel. I used the following kit: lokar column shift. Here are the steps: 1. Remove your shift unit out of the console. Note that the long "shift arm" is on the right side. You will remove one allen headed set screw and disassemble to unit. You will reinstall the "shift arm" on the left side. You may have to slightly dress the head of the set screw because it will have some interference when you move the lever down into "low".

2. Install the lokar billet adjustable arm on the transmission shift shaft so that it is vertical with the small narrow end pointed to 12:00 o'clock.

3. At this time you will have the shifter arm closer to the center line of the tunnel and the lokar arm very, very, close or interfering with the transmission tunnel. Massage the tunnel to gain clearance to move the lokar arm through all of the AT gear detents.

4. Now, you must construct a rod to connect the long shifter lever with the lokar transmission lever. I used heim joints such as provided by the lokar kit. It is NOT a direct line of sight rod. You will have to bend, measure, bend again and move both levers through their rotations before you have the right "angle". The problem is that the levers do not share the same planes. I used 1/4 copper tubing to mock up the connecting rod. When you have a shape that works, I suggest you transfer it to the thickest steel rod you can find, fit, and bend. This has to be stiff and the curves you will put on it to clear the transmission will encourage flex.

5. When this is done, you can now spend a lot of time and magic words to adjust the geometry between the arc of the console shifter and that of the lokar unit. Lokar has two adjustments: a serrated base and a pinch groove. This will provide you will more adjustment than you will use. The problem lies at the other end of the rod: the relocated Z shift arm and the plate that provides "detents" for the Z shifter.

6. If you wish to have access to all AT gear selections, you will probably have to modify both the Z shifter arm and the detents in the shifter itself. Not easy to clearly explain, but you will know instantly what needs to be done when you have the Z AT shifter out on a bench. It is all a matter of geometry.

7. At this point, my rather flexible rod allows me to shift easily through PRND. To get the use of the lower detents, I will have to spend more time on modifying both the console shift arm and the Z's built in detent plate.

At about this time you will be looking for an aftermarket cable actuated shifter. That will be much easier to install. I've gone the stock shifter route because I'm looking for a "stock" appearance and I'm pretty cheap.

Hope this helps.

I'd post photos, but for some reason I lost access to my photo albums with the last software swap. (Any one have any help here?)

g