HybridZ

Thermostat Housing Bolts

the bolts that hold My thermostat housing to the head have snapped. (77 280z with L28). I know that i can slide the housing off then slowly remove the bolts but i was wondering if there was any way that i could use the same length bolts that are fully threaded in place of the snapped ones? Also what are the lenghts so i will know how short to cut them? Any comments are appreciated greatly :confused:

No worries about bolts that fully threaded. They do the same thing.

As for length, you could just measure the thickness of the thermostat housing with a ruler at the two bolt holes, and add 5/8 inch for thread length into the block. That's 2 bolt diameters additional length (8mm x 2 = 16mm =~ 5/8 inch.) which is about what you need for good grip in the head.

The bolts are 8mm x 1.25 thread pitch if your wondering that too.

Happy bolt shopping!

No worries about bolts that fully threaded. They do the same thing.

As for length, you could just measure the thickness of the thermostat housing with a ruler at the two bolt holes, and add 5/8 inch for thread length into the block. That's 2 bolt diameters additional length (8mm x 2 = 16mm =~ 5/8 inch.) which is about what you need for good grip in the head.

The bolts are 8mm x 1.25 thread pitch if your wondering that too.

Happy bolt shopping!

Thanks! helped a ton

Sounds like your all set, but I switched to studs on the housing. Easier on the aluminum threads, and easier to line up during installation.

by studs do you mean a long threaded peice and a nut that id removed from it insead of removing the entire peice? Just want to be 100% sure before i do this

• 2 weeks later...