HybridZ

L24 cam in L28???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Fast Frog

There are a lot of good aftermarket performance cams for the naturally aspirated L24-28 series Z engine. The info I'm going to give was "top shelf" 5 yrs ago but I haven't been messing with L series cams since then. One of the best all round L cams is the "C" cam which the old Datsun Comp used to sell. It's more of a hotter street cam than a race cam. The "C" cam is a beefed up 240Z cam (.435 lift and 256 deg duration). A very good hi performance cam is Bill Gude's "D-1" cam (.480 lift and 236/242 deg duration). Other cams (HKS, Webb, Schnieder) are more oriented toward higher rpm racing. Some of the other forum guys might have some better recommendations. If you are interested, I can get some phone #'s for you.

Most people will tell you to change your old lifters when changing cams. I've change cams a time or two without changing out the lifters. Generally, for cams with .440 lift or more you'll need thicker lash pads to keep your valve train geometry correct.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited November 20, 2000).]