HybridZ

L28T quandary

jeromio

I've been calling around the local yards looking for the turbo half shafts. I'm hoping to have all the parts together by Christmas so that I can rebuild the back-end of my 240 over the holidays.

Well, no luck with the shafts, but I inadvertently found an 82 L28T with only 69K miles for $400 (w/out ECU, which they didn't have).

So, now I am presented with the painful decision of using my little pile of rear-end money to buy this motor, and consequently delay my rebuild by 3-4 months - Or pretend I never found this motor and continue to hold out hopes that I'll be able to find one next summer when I plan on doing the engine transplant.

In the mid-atlantic area (NC in particular) that these engines (or junker 280zxt cars) are pretty rare. At least that's been my experience. I certainly see alot of people posting here and on ZCar.com about plentiful supplies of turbo engines and cars in Texas, Cali, Fla, etc. Very jealous-making.

Arghh. It sure sucks bouncing around on these old springs and shocks. But it would also suck having to either wait forever to do the turbo swap, or have to cough up $800 for the motor - or both.

I can't find a 5spd for less than $300 either. Are you sick of hearing me complain yet? I am....

Guest Anonymous

It is the same for me in Alabama. Z cars are disappearing fast. Turbos are hard to find and expensive when found. 240s are almost extinct and all the scrap yards have crushed every Z they had. Agh! There used to be a yard with 15 Z cars in the yard. I went back and they were gone. GONE. I can find lots of NA ZX cars but even they are disappearing.

Craig

buy the motor and mess with cv shafts later.i dont run cv shafts on my 77/81zxt and dont have any problems.have a set af cv shafts in garage know but it really isnt a bolt in swap.i have a pick&pull around here that sells stuff dirt cheap.got a 3.7 300zxt lsd rear for $56.best trans is 82/83 zx-has best ratios for sports car use-thats what i run -close ratios for sears point and best 5th for freeway.i could probably send you a trans but i could not guarentee it-that is why i dont resell parts from pick&pull on z car forums.trans are $75.some time they need countershaft bearings-got a 84 300 zxt t5 in stock .

Yeah, it's not just that I wouldn't be able to do the CV shafts. I have $400 more stuff to buy for the rear-end tear down: bushings, coilovers and CVs (I need to rebuild the shafts and figured I may as well spend those dollars on the CV swap). I have the R200 (4.11) and the strut inserts, but have been saving up for the rest. I redid my front end this past summer, but the car is still riding on the original rear stuff - bounce thump thud. I really have to get a 5spd at the same time too since the 4.11 with my 4spd will definately wind out the rpms on the highway.

Last time I checked around for motors was when my L24 burned out. It took me 2 months to find just a plain L28 and that cost me $450. Yards wanted anywhere from $600 to $800 for them and I felt lucky to get what I got.

That's why this $400 Turbo motor has my veins throbbing. Hard to pass up.

I'm gonna be in LA in 3 weeks. I told the friend I'm visiting that I wanted to go peruse a couple of yards while I'm there. Which sounds really dorky and will most likely just be torturous anyway. I don't think a trans would fit in my suitcase...