HybridZ

R180 or R200

mattausten23

My differential blew out today, thank god I was just going through town. I've been wanting to upgrade to the R200 but I'm not sure if it's necessary. I plan on doing a swap in a couple years but I dream on pushing about 400hp but in the mean time I want to auto x it with the L24. My question is, for now should I stick with the R180 or should I go with the R200? I think I'm going to stay open differential, or should I weld it? Any advise helps! Thanks

Matt

Not sure what you mean by "blew out" but the cheapest way to go is to fix what ya got. Next is another stock r180. If going LSD, save up a thousand bucks unless you get lucky and stumble into a real deal on the parts. The issue is that the "leg bone's connected to the - foot bone...."

Depending on the year car you may have to change the driveshaft, mustache bar, and axles.

I really like the Subaru R180 CLSD swap using johnc's adapter flanges. You are looking at 400-500 for the diff and 500 for the adapters. You can reuse your driveshaft axles and mustache bar. The only "while you are at it" that I would do is the RT front diff mount which is about 70 bucks. This is a GREAT setup. I put 400 hp to it for several months and took it to the strip with street compound tires. I haven't put it up for sale for sentimental reasons but I have all the parts for this swap along with some really nice (but expensive) Wolf Creek axles, which aren't necessary to make the system work.

I really like the Subaru R180 CLSD swap using johnc's adapter flanges. You are looking at 400-500 for the diff and 500 for the adapters. You can reuse your driveshaft axles and mustache bar. The only "while you are at it" that I would do is the RT front diff mount which is about 70 bucks. This is a GREAT setup. I put 400 hp to it for several months and took it to the strip with street compound tires. I haven't put it up for sale for sentimental reasons but I have all the parts for this swap along with some really nice (but expensive) Wolf Creek axles, which aren't necessary to make the system work.

Nice! Yea I think that my spider gear went out but I havent gotten into it yet. It wouldnt let me go anywhere. I'm looking for the cheapest quick fix for now that will last me a while as I track it with my stock engine, so should I just have a friend of mine rebuild my current diff? I would love that Subi swap but I cant afford it right now:( I found a complete R200 swap for $200 and a 180 diff for $100.