HybridZ

77 280z ground control coil over conversion question

Hello,

Im in the process of putting together parts for my 280z coil over conversion. I have a few questions after reading all the write-ups for this conversion (even though they're mostly all for 240z's)

Most of the write-ups i've seen are for 240z, and the ones for 280z are using tokiko illuminas. Unfortunately, tokiko illuminas aren't in my budget right now, and working at a shop, Im able to get a really good price on KYB's. I can pretty much get a set for free at the moment, so that works for me. I will be wanting a 3-4 inch drop on my 280.

After reading some posts, I've figured that i will be using the VW jetta struts for the front (#364014) and the 280z front struts in the rear (#361002) and will be section the struts about 2" (i understand when I'm actually cutting the struts I will be measuring and number will most likely change.

My question is for sectioning the struts ~2", and expecting a 4" drop, what set of sleeves/springs will i be ordering from ground control? I understand the normal kit comes with larger sleeves, and 12" springs. If i plan to use the above KYB's, should i get the shorter sleeves (i think its 5-6") and the 10" springs for the 240z? I've read the sectioning FAQ and the dirtyS30 writeup numerous times, so i know exactly what i'll be doing when i get the parts, i just need a list of the parts i will be ordering so i can place an order monday for everything. If anyone can help me out with this, i'll be more than happy to do a writeup specifically for 280z, as it seems one is lacking in this department (some of the ones i've seen have people using 240z suspensions, and tokiko illuminas, and that won't work for me at this time.) This isn't going to be a track car, mostly just driving around on the street, possible few passes at the drag strip, so I'm lowering it mostly to fill the gap between my ZG flares, and the 16x9 (+15) rims i have. As far as spring rates, i'll probably be going with 250 fronts, 275 rears.

If I'm missing anything, i'm more the happy to get some advice regarding what parts i need to get, spring rates, etc. Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by FJ 280z

I used instructions from 3T for my install. Use the dirtys30 post and you will be fine. Sounds like you know what what strut cartrdges you want to use and they sound ok to me. You pretty much know what all you need as far as parts as well also. Go for it dude. I personally would go with the longer threaded sleeves and 10 inch springs. That should get you low enough without worrying about bottoming the stuts out. 275s in the back will be too hard most likely and probably too much for the kybs to handle as well. I have 225s in front and 250s in back and she rides like a tank. I think I would try 200/225 first. If you order from 3T you can play around with spring rates and heights. Just ship them back and they will send you another set. Good luck!

hey akeboshi, thanks for your response. after talking with gabriel at TTT, he suggested i use 89-93 celiac all-track rear struts for the front (#365075) and the 280z fronts for the rear (361002). i got the 10" springs, and 200f/225r. can't wait to get them and install it this weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on the rears now, cut 8.5" up, then took 1.75" from that piece i cut off, I'm test fitting the 280z fronts in the rear strut tubes and there is a huge gap! Am i supposed to use a spacer when using the KYB GR-2? I thought that was only with tokiko. Can someone help me out with this? Thanks so much!