HybridZ

T04/T3 return line?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I know quite a few of you are running the T04/T3 turbo. The guy i got the engine from did the swap and when he put on the turbo for the return line used a copper pipe w/ a 90 elbow in it. It leaked when i took the engine out of his car but i fixed it using new silicon. It is now leaking again. I know this is a jerry rigged return line. What are you guys using for your return line? I need to know quick. I dont really want to drive the car much with this oil leak. Also, where can i get some silicon hose off the net.

For silicone hose: http://www.bakerprecision.com/contents.htm

Now, I'm a little confused from your description - I assume from the fact that you're looking for silicone hose that it's not all copper pipe from the turbo to the oil pan. Solid copper all the way would not work well - you need something flexible to account for the movement of the turbo due to heat expansion in the manifold.

Just plumb the turbine oil outlet with a suitable hose barb, and run the silicone hose (0.5"id min) to the fitting on the oil pan. Make an effort to keep the hose as far as is practical from the hot exhaust pieces. If you are fabricating the fitting on the oil pan, make sure that it is above the level of the oil in the pan.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Here's a pic of what I have done. . . . http://www.usq.edu.au/users/degroot/240z/pages/turbo.htm look about half way down the page

The two sections are connected with a piece of 1.25" silicone hose.

When I had my turbo rebuilt, the turbo guy said to put as big a return line as possible (I dont know if he meant this big!!!), as when the oil comes out of the bottom of the turbo it contains a lot of bubbles and froth, the big return line is supposed to make all these bubbles flow better to the sump. Hope this helps - cheers simon