HybridZ

T5 TRANSMISSION

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, is your pilot bearing and input shaft engaging all the way? (The ID of the Pilot bushing in the end of the crank matches your input shaft right?). Only thing I can think of off hand, or the clutch disk isn't aligned all the way, some times engaging the clutch while trying to stab it in will do it (although with a hydraulic clutch, that would be a bit of a trick.), sometimes jostling the transmission up and down, back and forth will also help to move the clutch disk enough to get the input shaft into the pilot bushing. I thought the bellhousing are the same in the Camaro/Firebird because they basically both use a Chevy engine? Oh well, not sure if that'll help, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Good Luck, Happy New Year,

Lone

I think Lone is right. I've done 6 or 8 clutch jobs and it seems I always run into that. Just when I'm about to give up the splines line up, and it all goes together. Did you by a cheap alignment tool? A good one will fit very tight and not wiggle (much). A clue would be to measure the length the input shaft goes into the bearing/bushing. If it is the same as the gap from bellhousing to block, then it's likely the pilot is not engaging. Get out the calipers and measure the id and od.

Good luck!

Dan

Guest Anonymous

I am in the process of installing a T5 transmission (1997 transmission out of a Firebird 350) on to a Chevy 350. As I install the transmission on to the engine the bellhousing will not mate. There is a space of 3/4 of an inch. The transmission lines up with the guide post and all the bolt holes line up. Is it possible that there is a difference between the Chevy bellhousing and a Firebird bellhousing? Any thoughs on this?

Thanks,

Moses

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Lone & Dan,

I installed the cluch and tranmission. It went well with your help. I have installed the engine,but it is stuck between the front of the motor mounts and the firewall. It is about1 1/2 inches from the engine mount holes. I have expanded the the holes to 1 1/2 inches.

Any thoughts?