HybridZ

Oil Pressure

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What are all your opinions on how much oil pressure is good?

I bought a high volume pump and a set of high pressure springs and am now running 35psi at idle and over 100 at above 2500rpm.

Seems like a bit much. . . .Ive heard you can blow oil past your turbo seals. ..

What are your thoughts?

Guest Anonymous

Sorry should have been a little more specific. .. .the above is for an L28. . .I went with the high flow/high volume becuase Im running a big oil cooler, extended sump and turbo.

cheers - Simon

The rule of thumb for max oil psi is 10 psi per 1k rpm. So if you twist the motor 10K sound like your still safe! No really most people find a max of 70-80 about right for a high performance Z. If you oil pump came stock with both an inner and outer spring try replacing just the outer with the comp spring and see what you get.

------------------

Jeremy Fryer

Early 74 260Z

Worked hard and put up wet

Generally, you don't want to run a lot of oil pressure to the turbo - this is the main reason that Turbonetics recommends a -3 oil line to the turbo - it is restrictive enough that the pressure to the turbo gets reduced substantially.

As far as the rest of the motor, the high relief pressure will help if you have additional restrictions in series with the pump, like an oil cooler, as you mentioned.

I believe that the main reason that the high flow, high pressure pump was offered was for high revving race motors that ran much larger than stock main bearing clearances. The higher pressures were necessary in this case to ensure that the crank was still able to float on a cushion of oil, without starving the rest of the motor of oil.

If you are running stock or near stock main bearing clearances, you can probably get by just fine with much lower oil pressures, like around 50psi (stock was 45psi as I recall). Just remember that the regulation takes place at the pump - if you make sure that you have 45-50psi after the oil cooler, and you are running stock bearing clearances, you should be fine. If you are running an oil thermostat, just make sure that the oil is getting routed through the cooler when you check.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your help guys, I'll try replacing one of the high pressure springs with the oem one and see what it drops to, and then if necessary down to the other.

Thanks again - Simon