HybridZ

new engine burning oil

Arif

Another set back. I had my engine rebuilt about a year ago and recently started driving it after I got all the other parts together. The engine only has about 500 miles on it and has burnt through 3 qts of oil. I think it is either the valves or the piston rings, is there any way to know which one it is before I have them take apart the motor?

------------------

http://communities.msn.com/TurboZ

Hi Arif,

Do a compression test and let us know how EVEN the numbers are.

It's not abnormal for a new rebuilt to use

some oil. 3 qts in 500 miles may be a lot though.

Are you seeing any blue smoke when you get on it? Any when you go down a offramp?

Hope this helps.

Dave Booth http://www.nitrophotos.com

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

Guest Tom Scala

Arif,Did you use Total Seal rings? If so these require a specific cylinder wall finish to seat properly. Many shops aren't familiar with these rings and don't prep the cylinders the way Total Seal recomends. If the shop did not hone for these rings I'd be willing to bet thats the problem. Even if you didn't use the Total Seals your problem does sound like it's ring related.

Old rule of thumb, if an engine blows smoke under power, up a hill, its rings, if it blows after coasting down a hill, after sitting at a stop light, high vacuum, its usually valve guides/seals. I agree with the correct cylinder wall requirements for different rings. Todays rings should seat almost instantly. Bummer, hope you get it resolved.

JS

Arif,

Sorry you're having prob's. Here's my 02c's worth.

When you see the smoke; is it a continuous smoke cloud, uninterupted; then that usually indicates rings (more than one ring).

If the smoke cloud is interupted; kind of like your tail pipe is sending S-O-S signals...then that usually indicates a bad valve/or valve guide.

A compression test/leak down test would be the tale/tell sign of any cyl's not sealing.

Definately some machine shops are used to doing Chevy/Fords only. If you take an off brand engine in; make sure you know-your Machinest knows what the clearances are. They're not always the same!

Hope you get it figured out.

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited February 26, 2001).]