HybridZ

Some questions about new motor...

Sean 83ZXT

I'm getting a rebuilt Turbo engine for my '83ZXT and I'm wondering what oil I should run for the break in period? Also what weight is recommended for normal use in a Turbo motor. My engine will receive several mods later on but I want to treat it well so it will perform like a mad man! smile.gif

Thanx in advance.

------------------

Future 12 sec L28ET Driver

What I've been told by my engine builder is to run CHEAP oil during break in, and change it often. I plan on running some low grade 10w-30 and changing the oil and filter about every 1000miles. Once I know my engine is broken in, its fully synthetic all the way. (especially with a turbo engine!!!)

Its probably a good idea to get a strong magnet and stick it to the outside of your oil filter for your break in period as well, just to make sure none of those shavings get through.

------------------

Richard Lewis

drax2.gif

I'm not up on the turbo engines; but I agree about using a standard 10W - 30 oil for break in & change it often.

Once the engine is broken in you can upgrade to a synthetic.

The best synthetic I've found (My Z is a non-turbo z) was Mobil 1. When I first bought my Z I tried all three different 10W - 30 brands....the car felt a little sluggish; mind you I already gave it a full tune up & new belts, air filter.

Then I switched to a synthetic brand; 1st I used Castrol, the Green Quaker brand & the Yellow brand.....they all still seemed a little better but the engine still seemed a little sluggish (It had 155,000 miles on it).

Finally on the next oil change I coughed up the few extra bucks for Synth.Mobil 1 10W-30. My prob's were solved; the engine felt like it set back the odometer 50,000 miles. Never used any of the Dura Lubes, Slick 50 type additives. Just use the Mobil1 & I'm a believer in its "Slickerability" & yes Slickerability is a technical term!

For additional advice you might try posting this same question on the Turbo/Supercharger forum.

Kevin

Guest Anonymous

I was always told to use straight 30 weight for break in. You don't really need the viscosity changing properties of multigrade oil when breaking in an engine. Far as the various synthetic oils (as mentioned don't use for break in, to slippery and you won't seat the rings easily) I think its a personal preference which is better, they're all better than Dino oil (No haters please, thats pure science fact not fiction) and using one over another is a matter of what marketing hype you believe or your pocketbook as to which is cheaper.

My .02,

Lone

I've also heard Amsoil is great stuff. Apparently the guy that started Redline used to work for Amsoil, but couldn't duplicate things because Amsoil had the patents. Interesting.

I plan on running Mobil1 10w-30 after breakin.

------------------

Richard Lewis

drax2.gif