HybridZ

can someone advise me about my engine options?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

first a pic

P2130016.jpg

ok, now some info (which i dont have much of)

its a 280T block with 240 heads for high compression because i do not have a turbo hooked up to it. (note if anythgin i say is wrong plz correct me) from what i understand this creates pressure so they had to drill the gas cap and leave an engine valve open to alleviate it. i was thinking of putting a 350 in it, but this is pretty fast already. i guess the carberators on there are good (weber) but coudl someone tell me more plz? also, one last question. if i put the turbo for the 280 engine in it, woudl i have to remove the 240 heads because the compression woudl get too high? or coudl i leave them on there? also anybody selling 280 turbo setup? i think i need the wire harness, the turbo, i dotn know what else, can anyone help? thanks a million,

mike

I am not sure what you mean by "pressure and drilling gas caps". The carb setup is sexy and if you plan on going turbo, there are lots of folks (zcar.com) who will pay big bucks to help fund the turbo project.

As for going turbo, do not run the 240 heads. You can run a n/a block with turbo heads but not the other way. My advise would be to sell the entire engine setup and buy a complete turbo setup, or better yet, a running donor car. Of course, the V-8 is always an option as long as you understand what you are getting into.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

thx scottie, one more thing please? 8)

how do i get he most out of the carbs i have? i hear they are high rpm, right? so is a 280t engine redline 8k like my tach says? what exactly 'sets' the redline, and what are some things i can do to raise it? also if i do, how will i know how much higher i can go? also if i did decide to go hybrid, how much do u think my current setup would sell for? thanks SO much 8)

ps...everybody can reply.. 8)

Guest Anonymous

If the Webers are 40mm which most are they are about 350-450. Which cyl head # do you have. Do you have flat top pistons or dished? You can see which you have through spark plug hole. There is a # on the side of the block as well. I've found that a good set up is L28 block with flat tops & N42 head. The early 240 heads have smaller valves,E31 & E88. If you want more power, what size cam do you have? If you don't know, from where do you have power and to where does it drop off? I have med. size cam power from 2000 to 6200 .495 lift 280 durration. A big cam would be from 3000 to 8000 or so .52 lift 308 durration. I had a big cam and it idled like crap. With my setup I get 186 hp at wheels with three Webers 40's and Crane Hi-6.

If you want even more power go turbo and look to spend atleast 4000 and get a P90 head to bolt on your L28.

Guest Anonymous

hey, thanks. thats a lto of questions hehe.

i cant really tell dished or flat cause it is dark otuside, but ill look in the morning. my power is from 3k-8k it seems, but any other way to tell fi i have a big cam? my car idles kind of rough too, so what does that mean? how do i make my redline 10k rpms? thanks

quote:

Originally posted by hybridluver:

how do i make my redline 10k rpms? thanks

For all practical purposes, you can't. Because of the design of the L6, the upper limit is somewhere around 8000rpm. Above that, because of the length of the crankshaft, torsional vibrations start happening in the crank, and can cause the crank to fail.

Granted, at 8000 rpm with a well balanced motor, this won't happen immediately, but 10000 rpm would just be begging for trouble, IMHO.

This is not to say that it's impossible to do, but you would end up spending a lot more money to make it work, and most likely end up with less power than you would by going with a well thought-out turbo setup.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for all the info guys. i have to restore it first then i guess ill think about v8. for now, what are some things i can do to make it faster? balance, blueprint, all that? but anything else? thanks

Are you looking for faster 0-100mph, or faster top speed? depending on the type of driving you are doing, you may want to look into different differentials (gear ratios). Another consideration may be an electric fuel pump...I noticed the mechanical in the pic. I believe the triples carbs can benefit (predominantly at high rpms) from a low pressure electric pump and fuel regulator. Sometimes the mechanical pump can starve the carbs @ high rpm's. just my $.02

Before you get too excited balancing, blueprinting, and generally going nuts with that motor... Price out what all of that will cost. Then consider adding on at least half more. there, now price out a decent V8 conversion since you might want to do that in the future. How close are the numbers? And how much more power is the V8 making?

I can see a turbo L6 maybe but a NA L6 is oging to be tough to build in order to keep up with a V8 - power or price wise I thnk. I seem to recall at least one member here has a tricked out L6 for sale, if you're not interested in buying it try asking him what it cost to build. The costs might surprise you compared to doing a V8 - I'm betting they're closer than you might think.

Food for thought anyway. Enjoy the car, it's a nice one!

Guest Anonymous

OK then, now that we have both v8 and upgrading the one in there coverd. what about a z32 NA engine? i was thinking the tt engine, but its kind of a pita from what i have read on search. i talked to a guy named greg durpee who has put a z32 tt engine into a 260z, and he told me the cost was 15k! anybody else have info on this? im sure i can buy an NA front clip pretty cheap since there are a bunch of NA'ers that want to convert to TT. any advice or websites? i was thinking that even the na engine in such a light car woudl be pretty quick. plus i can NOS it 8) thanks.