HybridZ

Engine weight of zx Lmotor vs. KA24de

heinekenns

If the engine swap I mentioned earlier (2.8 turbo L from zx in my 96 240sx) is an option, then I need to consider the engine weight. I don't want to drastically change the dynmics of my front suspension if this engine is a hog. The KA with manifold and accessories was weighed in (I've read) at around 340-350 lbs. In a previous posts I've read that the zx L motor weighed anywhere from 350-480lbs. A more recent post from your board said (IIRC) 470lbs. Anybody have a definite number. 350-480 is a broad number. In any case I'm going to have to lighten the engine and the front of my car. Please help me. Thanks from a lost 240sx owner.

I would say that a built up L28ET will add about 150lbs to the front of your car with about a 1/3 of that weight going in front of the wheels.

You would at least need new springs to get the ride height right and you would probably upset the handling in general.

This swap is not recommended.

The sr20det is the way to go for your car. I don't think you can get a powerful engine into a 240sx for less than $4-5k.