HybridZ

p79 or p90

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i know they are both flat-top pistons and better flow for turbo enginges, but which one is better for my setup...i will be doing a f54 block, p79 or p90 head, stock intake, t04 turbo, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, does it even matter?

-Chase

Guest Fast Frog

Probably doesn't matter. They both have the same 76mm combustion chamber and the same valve dia. the only major diff is the P79 has round exhaust ports and the P90 has rectangular EPs. The P79 was on 1980-83 non-turbo ZXs and the P90 was on the turbo ZX up to 83. Then in 83, it was a P90A which used hyd lifters.

BTW, the P79 hd with an earlier 280 block with flat top pistons is a good combo. CR is around 8.8 - 9 to 1!

Guest Anonymous

what early 280 block the e88 block? should i use this set if im going to turbocharge the motor or stick with the p90(p79)head and f54 block.

-chase

I think most people will agree, that if you are going to run a turbo engine, your best bet is the factory one. Granted its not perfect, but its allready been engineered to handle boost.

The only drawback I have with it is the low compression ratio. If I had the $$$ I'd try to get my CR to 8.0:1-8.3:1. (custom forged pistons)

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers