HybridZ

HKS Gasket prep

Guest Tom Scala

Guest Tom Scala

I remember reading on a Supra site that to use a metal HG on an aluminum head/iron block motor you have to lap the head to make it perfectly smooth. When I got my head back from the shop it had very small but visible grooves from the surfacing. Is this a big deal or do I just worry too much?

You will always see surfacing marks, just be sure they are not deep and you will be OK. I have used the HKS metal gasket several times. I have always just sprayed it with several coats of copper spray and slapped it on. I usually run the car for a day or 2 and let it cool completly for 24hrs then go back and retorque the head. You should be ok. the only complaints i have heard was an inability to seal water jackets although i never(3 gaskets worth) had problems.

Guest Tom Scala

Thanks for the info. Maybe the water passage leaks are due to slight pitting of the blocks' deck surface around the steam holes. Alot of old blocks have something like this on them.