HybridZ

Evaluate these parts, please?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Since my '78 280Z has 280,000 miles on the original engine, many of those miles near redline at track events, she's showing her age. I bought a "rebuild kit" over the Inet a coupla years ago, and wanted some ideas as to the "value", not in dollars and cents, but in terms of generating HP. Here goes:

1) Deves piston rings - good, bad, average, above/below average? Looking for durabilty factor mostly - I know Total Seal would get me an extra HP or 2, but these are bought and paid for.

2) Schnieder cam - this is the one that MSA sells as their "slalom grind". In my old MSA catalog, it's listed as having .480 lift E & I, 274 duration. My car is FI, with a big ol' K & N leading to a turbo AFM and Weber BBTB, and with a rheostat in the temp sensor circuit. I recall Dan B. saying that the cam is improperly drilled for internal oiling, so that's something I'd want to fix. Any other opinions on this cam for FI? BTW, the lobes seem to be machined fairly rough, with mini-grooves running in line with the cam rotation - should I dress this up with some very, very light sanding, like a polish job?

Your experience and observations count, so spill yer guts. Thanks.

[ May 01, 2001: Message edited by: jpd280z ]