HybridZ

where to get injectors?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ive been talking with Jeff Priddy all morning about the first steps for setting up my new turbo engine and getting it good to go up to 300+ hp.. he recommend me to goto JWT to get the fuel rail and injector kit they offer.. that would give me a 50lb injector? i dunno, something like that, their stainless fuel rail and they would have to program a 1988 300zx n/a computer that i buy and install for $888!!!!! thats alot! i was just looking at ideal-z's fuel rail, not what i want.. i saw some pictures a year ago of a rail that had 2 inlets for gas and 1 inlet for n2o, thats what i want.. where can i get it?

what about injectors? i either want 420cc's or 500cc's or bigger.. how much should i spend? i remember hearing things about injectors from old v12 jags and such along time ago.. boy i need to find all my paper work when i first thought of this.. thanks for replys.

Euro, I dont' really remember what engine you are running. But a 500cc injector is pretty damn big, and will support (a guess) probably around 450hp.

JWT is expensive for their reprogrammed computers, which is why I went with SDS. More flexability, and it costs less or the same. I can't really help you out with the nitrous stuff.

------------------

Richard Lewis

drax2.gif

Guest Anonymous

i just got [getting tomorrow actually] a 1982 280zx Turbo parts car, its complete and runs okay, needs a tune up and injectors/fuel system stuff before i can swap it..

i will be going with the SDS system later on.. its looking like im going to spend atleast $600 on injectors right off the bat and atleast $300 to make a custom fuel rail w/ n2o hook up.. this might be a little to much for me right off the bat, im trying to get this engine in with as much mods as i can do without going broke, i need it in my car because my current engine is a junker!

i looked at rc engineering like jeff said, $88 for a 50lb/s type injector, same price ive seen at another website!

The engine is a stock 82 turbo, p90 head, f54 block, 3.54 rear end, auto tranny, the only thing comming out of it for my car is the engine, then the rest is to part out for good prices smile.gif need anything? hehe. thanks.

• 2 months later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000

quote:

Originally posted by euro280zx:

he recommend me to goto JWT to get the fuel rail and injector kit they offer.

The JWT injectors are just Bosch injectors that are marked up in price.

On Z31.com they had some info about this. Someone got a JWT injector, looked up the part #, and found that it was standard equipment on a 1975 Mercedes 450 SEL. You can go to Pep Boys and get a set for about 1/2 the price JWT charges for it.

Here's the page with info about the upgrade. This is for the Z31 Turbo engine, but I think the kit for the 280ZX and Z31 is the same thing. You can get the parts elsewhere for cheaper than JWT charges.

Here's the link: http://z31.com/jwt.shtml

Yea, I guess shops assume most of are ignorant and I guess they are correct or they would not still be in business. Where else can you pay twice as much for a Mercedes fuel injector? If you are making a custom fuel rail then you have much more options. I priced out Venom reman injectors from Carquest for the RX-7 and they ran about $55 per and had a 1-year warranty. You have alot of sizes to choose from:

450cc

550cc

600cc

850cc

1080cc

You only need to be careful as to note the injector impedance when ordering the SDS. The injectors require minimal mods to the manifold that include drilling out the injector hole by .015". Wow, real complicated! I bought 2' of fuel rail from electromotive for $45 and then marked and drilled the holes in a drill press. More heavily complicated mods! I then tapped both ends 3/8NPT and was on my way. Actually, I had to get 2 pieces of aluminum and place them into a vice and hammer a 35 degree angle into them. These were used to hold the rail to the manifold once the injectors are in place. Real high tech stuff and this is what I ended up with! http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/3liter/pics/intake/newsetup1.jpg http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/3liter/pics/intake/runners.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Euro: FYI, I am currently working on two different fuel rails for the Z cars. The rails will be made of two different aluminum extrusions and will use stands that mount to the intake manifold-to-head bolts rather than the stock mounting locations. You can use AN fittings with an inlet for N2O, I would think. I always thought N2O was better injected into the air intake stream?

Making a fuel rail is not very hard as long as you have all the taps and bits you need to get it done. Then you have to find the right brass fittings (I had a lot of trouble here in Alabama). It could be done with a hand drill but a drill press is a huge help (add another $100 minimum). Well, you get the picture.

Later,

Craig