HybridZ

Anyone welded pipe to the stock ZXT manifold before?

Hey guys, i know its been done because i swiped the idea off of someones website (simon perhaps?). My question is, how difficult was it to have the pipe welded to the zxt exhaust manifold for the wastegate. I want to do this on my z but need to know what tubing you used and how you went about it. I am having a pro do it, but he doesnt know about the z manifold so im researching for him icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

I was also wondering what material i should make my wastegate flange out of? Steel of course, but how thick and what type?

thanks guys, you rock- Evan

icon_wink.gif

You will want to use atleast schedule 30 tubing. This tells the wall thickness. The thin crap will just blow open from the heat, trust me I know. As you know the manifold is a cast iron jobber so you will want to have the manifold preheated before welding. Use some type of nickel rod to join the 2 different metals and then once a bit is welded you will want to ping the weld so that it does not suddenly shrink up and cause cracks. Once it is welded you will then submerge it in sand or cat liter and allow it to cool slowly for several hours and you will then be good to go.

Here is a pic: http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/3liter/pics/wgate/tman2.jpg http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/3liter/pics/wgate/tman8.jpg http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/3liter/pics/wgate/tman7.jpg

Thanks alot tim, now i have a queston for you. First what did you coat the exhaust manifold with? Looks good!

second.. what are the fittings that enter the exhaust manifold right before the turbo?

Thanks buddy- Evan

PS.. anyone know of a source for stock that would make a good wastegate flange? icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Evan...

The coating is the blue JetHot 2000 stuff. It's supposed to be good to 2000 degF.

One of the fittings is for the exhaust temp probe. The other is a piece of steel tubing that I ran to a fitting mounted at the back of the intake manifold. I can then connect a pressure gauge to the fitting, and measure the exhaust manifold pressure. I have a similar fitting on the downpipe, so that I can check pressures before and after the turbo.

I used a piece of schedule 40 steel pipe for the wastegate flange. I had to section, reshape, and re-weld it to make the transition from the oval shaped hole in the manifold to the round shape at the inlet of the wastegate.