HybridZ

Making JE Forged pistons

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

240zturbo this is somewhat directed to you.

im ordering forged pistons, should i do a 3.0 liter (88mm) flat top or 3.1 liter (89mm) just curious...

but...

what i really need to know is

**THE ROD LENGTH OF STOCK 81-83 TURBO rods

**BLOCK HEIGHT of an f54 block

**Gasket Thickness

**Above or below deck

i've looked in a few books and i cant find this anywhere preferably in inches/mm thanks guys.

-chase

Keep the bore size down so you don't get the cylinder walls too thin. A proper setup will yield enough hp without searching for that extra .1L. From your e-mail message I was not sure if you were using the LD28 crank or L28 crank. My crank is actually an L28 crank that was stroked to 84mm by welding and then off-set grinding. The 3.0L JE pistons are no secret and I will call Jim @ sunbelt to get some specs for you.

I agree with James on the bore. Here's a link with most of the specs you are asking for.

http://www.zcluboftexas.org/tech/l28combo.html

You should note that these are nominal specs for a factory fresh block/head. Your 20 year old block may or may not have these specs. If you are spending the cash on forged pistons, it would be a good idea to actually measure the critical specs (deck height, for instance), and design the pistons around those numbers.

If you are having pistons custom made anyway, you should consider using the L24 rods - they are longer, and will require a different piston pin height. The longer rods will result in a better rod ratio, which will give you less side loading on the rod, as well as longer dwell time at TDC and BDC (this makes you less sensitive to cam timing).

Guest Anonymous

Hrm...after talking to James (240zTurbo)...

I am stuck with rod selection, i will be using ARP bolts but i dunno whether to use stock l28 rods or l24 rods (i have both anyways) is it really that much worth it?

-chase

The only caveat is that the L24 rods need to be the variety with 9mm rod bolts. Otherwise, if you are having the pistons made anyway, then I would definitely go with the L24 rods.

There is no advantage in going with the shorter rods, except convenience - like if you already had the pistons for them.