HybridZ

Wanted? Help? L20A--L24 w/2 bbl dndft

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

#1 Does anyone have a 2 liter L series they want to get rid of?

#2 Have been toying with the idea of a 2 bbl 2 liter (I know, it won't be fast but my other Z is)--anyhow, have considered a 2 liter (hard to come by) and then have considered an L24 with a clifford manifold and 2 bbl dndrft DGV--then I wondered about hood clearance.

Ideally, an L20A is what I want.

Excuse my ignorance of Datsun motors, but in what cars did the L20A come in? I had an L20B in my 200SX that was a stout motor which can be made fast. If a "clifford" manifold is anything like the dual Weber DGV manifolds (except a single) there should be hood clearance.

Interesting to note, there was a company that sold kits to replace the L24 with L20B four cylinder motors because they claimed the handling gain far offset any loss in power the 4 cylinder gave up. Hope someone else can chime in to help you.

David

Guest Anonymous

The L20A is a smaller version of the L24 basically. 6 cyls, I believe it was a japan only item, probably not going to find one in the US. I could be wrong on that but I'm pretty sure that's correct. This is why the 4 cyl L20 is the L20B.

Guest lambsr

Yeh, L20A was basically a Jap domestic only jobby. Used in some models of the Fairlady Z over there, plus also in early Skylines. There was also a turbo version (L20ET) with a tiny turbo and about the same output as the L24 in a 240Z. See these engines occasionaly in Oz, but quite rare now.

I've seen a 260Z fitted with a 2bbl carby (Hitachi) and manifold from a C110 240K. Used one of those flat, open 'performance' air filters. Performance wasn't outstanding.....

Guest Anonymous

Thanx for the input people--pretty much coincides with other info I have uncovered.

slamb--what is a C110 240K? Any chance on getting a manifold as mentioned in your reply?

Not looking for quick acceleration or high top end--my modified '71 does all that.

Guest lambsr

C110 240K was a 2/4 door sedan sold in Australia, NZ, Japan and England (I think) in the 70's. Used L24 with Hitachi 2bl carb. Was followed in the late 70's by C210 Skyline (then the R30, R31.....).

I thought perhaps the US may have got some of these, but appears not...

Guest Anonymous

Demon Z--might be interested, if the price is right--especially if I could find a block!

Slamb--would be interested in one of the manifolds and carb if possible to obtain--would obviously need help from your side of the pond--maybe $ or trade?,,,

Guest Anonymous

DemonZ--been outa town, just got back. Is the head complete? What is the general condition of parts? Why was the block gutted?

Everything was in good working order and running fine when I stripped the motor.

The L20A came with the car and I was ready to put a L28 for more power, so I took what I thought might be desireable and tossed the block.

The head is complete, no perceptible wear on rockers or cam, moderate carbon buildup on intake valves. All parts look to be in excellent usable condition.

I just put a Clifford intake on my L24 and it had the plate for a 4 barrel carb but I bought a 4 to 2 barrel adapter plate. Clifford sales the 2 barrel only plate so no 4 to 2 adapter is needed. My hood clearance is close but still closes with a aftermaket aircleaner. If you want details of my conversion please E-mail me.