HybridZ

L28 flat top pistons in a L26

Guest Zpeed

Guest Zpeed

Hi, i'm not allowed to swap my engine over due to laws here, and also my dad doesn't want me to do it, and since i need to get new pistons rings and a new piston, can i put the L28flat top pistons into the L26 without any modification, that will give me 9.2 compression with the E88 head, if i can change the pistons over, i'll change the head to N42 which will give me just about the same compression,

if i can change the pistons over, is it worthwhile, i can't really change the engine over for say another 1 1/2 years,

just looking at that setup with the lengine program, it says l26 pistons are 83 in diameter and the l28 are 86, i'm not sure what this means, i thinking that they are to big....

thanks

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: Zpeed ]

Guest Anonymous

double check the bore of a 2.8 with the bore of the 2.6. As far as I know you cannot because an L26 is the the P30 block just like the L24. This means that there is not enough cylinder wall to bore to the L28 sizze piston. I could be wrong but I looked into the very same thing for my L24 and my machinist told me that there was not enough cylinder wall to bore to that size.

Jake

Guest lambsr

Zspeed, the law in Victoria allows for a 10% increase in capacity over original specs before an engineering inspection is required (that costs about $400). Since you have a 260Z, putting in an L28 is not a problem. If you owned a 240Z it would be a different story.....but many do it without a problem icon_smile.gif

That said, perhaps you should listen to your father......

Since L28 pistons are 86mm diam, but L26/L24 pistons are only 83mm you would need to bore your L26 block by 3mm to fit the bigger pistons. While this has been done without problems by some, it is generally recommended to have the block ultrasonically inspected before boring to ensure there is sufficient cylinder wall thickness to cope. Even if it can be done, it is better not to build a high HP engine using this method because the block is weakened and the risk of cracking is increased (but a street engine would generally be OK).

Guest Zpeed

allright i have convinced my dad to let me do the engine change, to the L28, i got all the tools, and everything,

the main problem was that he thought that there was to much work involved... but i got him to read some stuff from the internet which let him see my point of view.

a question for the melbourne guys, once i have done the swap do i just go to vicroads and tell them that i have done the swap, give them the numbers etc, whats the procedure,

will my 260 exhaust manifolds all hook up, i think its sqaure of something and the N42 head is the same so it should be all fine

this weekend i getting some body work done and fixing some paint areas, and then in 2 weeks i'll be doing the engine