HybridZ

T56 Leaking from tail housing seal

The T56 in my LS-swapped car leaks just a bit from the seal where the driveshaft inserts.  Not enough to drip.  It just leaks enough that it puts some residue on the sides of the transmission tunnel (underneath the car).  I can sometimes smell the oil fumes wafting (sp?) up thru the "modified" shifter boot seal on highway driving.  Whenever I'm under there, I just clean it up with a little Simple Green.

My question: How much are you other T56 guys leaking from that seal?  I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth the trouble of replacing that seal when I have the driveshaft down for a diff swap in the next week or two.  I don't want to change the seal -  if I can expect the replacment to leak just as bad.  I guess I'm trying to figure out just how "sealed" that seal should be in normal circumstances.  My driveshaft is the JCI model.

The experiences of others on this forum have been super helpful for me to know what sorts of leaks are acceptable.  Somebody on here talked me out of replacing the rear main seal when I did a clutch.  The main seal basically just had a bit of sweat on it - I didn't replace that one.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Mine leaks from the rear seal too. I dont think the problem is 100% the seal(Which is why I havent fixed it). There tail housing has a bushing inside it that wears down, which in turn allows the seal to leak. In order to actually fix the leak(Probably anyways, your bushing could be fine I suppose), you have to replace the bushing. If I remember correctly they dont actually sell the bushing for a T56 but the one from a TH350(Maybe?) fits(Possibly needing slight modification). Look around on the LS1tech or something and you should be able to find what I am talking about it. Honestly if it isnt enough to drip, I wouldn't worry about it.

-Will

Yep, that bushing is pretty commonly worn on a lot of trannies. I hope you have better luck putting one in than I did. they can be a rea PITA.  Probably going to have this done next time, by someone with the RIGHT tool.

Keith, you dirty old man! I just saw the message above your avatar!

Edited by SUNNY Z

SUNNYZ-somebody has played a trick on me! I didn't put that on there. Maybe one of the admins is teasing me for the trouble I'm having getting the CLSD set up correctly for the diff you sold me. I guess in that context I'm banging your old rearend? And leaking from my tail shaft housing. This is going from bad to worse.