HybridZ

76 lt1 conversion VSS question

Hey guys. I recently bought a 76 280z lt1 conversion and i absolutely love it. I didn't do the swap myself so there are a few things i need to address  and i need a little help from the experts. Ok she has an lt1 from a 94 camaro and a bw t5 wc from an 89 camaro with standalone wiring harness for engine management. The car starts and runs great. Plenty of power and all that good stuff but... Sometimes when i come to a stop the MIL light will come on and the idle will fluctuate going up and down. If i shut it down and restart it the problem goes away. The previous owner told me it was because of the manual trans and not having a vss. My question is this. Is there any way to fool the ecu into thinking there is a vss hooked up? Maybe a way to hook one up with this trans? other than this little hiccup the car is phenomenal. I get looks everywhere i go even at idle haha. If i get into it people practically defecate in their trousers. any ideas on how to remedy this little problem?

Well not sure I can help here, I have the T56 transmission which has the VSS and yes the VSS info is very important to the computer for the Lt1 as it is constantly monitored and adjustments are made constantly to your timing, injectors etc, according to your vehicle speed, the Throttle Position Sensor and Oxy sensors and air flow meter especially add to the mix.

Maybe there is an VSS available for the T5, I would have to think so as I think the T5 is still used on computerized cars, the 94 was still an OBD1 computer, did the standard shift 6 clyinder Camaro and Firebirds use a T5? Mustangs maybe?   The VSS signal out of the T56 VSS is a 4Khz square wave pulse.

Welcome to the LT1 family of Z cars,

I know a lot of guys are going with LSX engines now but I love my LT1, very dependable, fast, easy to upgrade and a prettier motor (:-)) also. 

Oh, Don't believe everything you read about the Optispark as long as it is the vented one there are no problems. My friends Caddy has 190K and still has the original opti cap and rotor!

Greg

The optispark kinda worried me but not too much. If I ever need one i get a discount at work and it will have a lifetime warranty (take a wild guess where that might be lol) I just want to get this vss hammered out. Ill get on our website and look up some parts. It would be nice to have it in there and functioning.

Just found this on autozones website. Would this work to fix my problem?

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=60116

Edited by Doomfinger

• 1 month later...

just got my painless 60116 today. Installed it after work and it works like a charm! downshifted several times to see if i could get the code to pop and nothing. Befoer if i even tried to downshift or engine brake it would throw the code, idle would fluctuate and i could smell it run rich. now all is well finally!!