HybridZ

Cold Air Intake Causing Lean Condition?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I added a K&N Filter and then noticed my plugs had high speed glazing on 5 out of 6 plugs. The #1 cylinder didnt have the glazing.. I have heard the #1 cylinder runs rich because of the design of the intake... What should I adjust to fix the lean condition? if that is what it is...

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

oops, forgot to mention what it is.. it is a 77 280 F.I. and your right about the afm... it should be metering correctly.. I dont know much about it... can I adjust it for more fuel?

Also, the afm pops when you rev when it is cold.. so its lean...

Fraga

Yeah, It's lean, but it can be adjusted at the AFM. The sliding resistor can be adjusted to allow the engine to run richer (and it does not take but a very small adjustment at all). Also, the return spring for the AFM can be tightened or loosened to affect the fuel curve (weaken the spring tension, and the mixture will richen because the computer thinks more air is going in being the flap is pushed further by the same amount of air). But this must be done very carefully too, 'cause the spring adjustment wheel only needs a few teeth of adjustment to make a big difference, and you do NOT want to let the spring wheel slip and "unspring" inself!! My concern here is once that cover is opened, moisture can start to be a problem. Be careful here.

Remove the cover from the AFM, mark the stock location and adjust it by one tooth only at a time and roadtest. You'll probably go only two teeth total...any more and think about enrichenning by increasing the resistance in the water temp circuit by adding a resistor in line rather than keep loosenning the tension on the AFM flap. By the way, switch to a 180 degree thermostat if your car has a 195 degree in it stock.

I used a potentiometer inline in the water temp circuit in selecting the resistance value based on throttle response, etc on the road.

DAW