HybridZ

Flywheels: Fidanza vs Competition Clutch

DoctorMuffn

Competition Clutch Flywheel for $246 shipped from VR Speed Factory

http://www.vr-speed.com/competition-clutch-69-72-nissan-240z-2-4l-stu-flywheel-2-588-stu.html?gclid=CLnw4rri77QCFQinPAodm0cArQ

"[Competition Clutch Flywheel] stamped with 4140 plate with 2000 ton pressure at 1260 degrees
CNC machined and balanced to O.E. specifications"

Fidanza Aluminum flywheel $350+ shipped

Fidanza Steel flywheel clutch $372+ shipped

"Fidanza high performance Steel Flywheel differ from the competition by being not only durable but serviceable. Another reason they out perform the competition is that the body is milled from a 1045 billet steel slab. The 1045 is a high carbon steel. It’s incredibly strong and can withstand the rigors of the most extreme engines, drivers and conditions. Of course all Fidanza steel flywheels include a serviceable 1045 steel insert for the clutch to ride on, which is attached using the highest quality aerospace fasteners."

Fidanza Aluminum flywheel with Exedy clutch for $435 shipped from Ultrarev on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-Clutch-FIDANZA-Flywheel-240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-/310094704749?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483315b06d&vxp=mtr

Why priced so differently? How is the manufacturing quality of CC's products? Is Fidanza better?

What's the difference between those quoted sections for their respective flywheels?

Has anyone had stripped bolt hole issues with the Fidanza aluminum flywheels? Has anyone experienced a seating issue with the stock clutch to the Fidanza flywheel due to stock bolts being too long causing poor clutch adjustment and engagement?

Thanks

P.S. I'm not interested in aluminum over steel. I'd prefer a stock setup (even a stock machinable flywheel) for my mostly stock Z. The most intriguing purchase for me at this point is the CC flywheel due to affordability.

More information for those who are interested in motives:

I've had an unsprung 6 puck disc on a stock flywheel for the past 4 or 5 years to only end up with a well worn, unmachinable flywheel and a thrashed input shaft bearing that roars something hideous in low gears. The clutch looks fine as it no longer was the weak link protecting more expensive, harder to service components. Maybe It chattered too much during engagement. Maybe I'm a bad driver. I'm ready to stop re-engineering what's worked in these cars for over 40 years until I do my engine swap to my Lexus 1UZ 4.0 liter. I will need this stock setup for the next 5-10 years until the project begins. I'm looking for longevity and reliability

Any input is greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...