HybridZ

'84 300zx z-incarnated as a '72 240z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I know this is going to hurt your ears but when I was about 17 (I'm 21 now), I wrecked my '84 300zx non-turbo. The engine and everything is still good but the top is tweeked too bad to repair it. However, my dad and I just found a '72 240z. We want to put the engine and everything from the 300zx into the 240z. Basically, we want to end up with a 300zx with a 240z body. Can anybody tell me what to expect? Thanks.

This has actually been done, but with a turbo motor, and that makes a nice swap, Baby. It looks very sano and the guy that did it lives here in California. He used to post on this board too.

The swap is very doable, but there is not kit for it. You will have to make your own brackets & mounts to fit the motor & tranny, but that should not be too hard. Adapting the electrical stuff will probably take the longest, but it should be worth it in the end. Do you have a JTR manual? If not, get one! It at least will guide you through the basic steps of a conversion.

Here is one thing to consider, though. You will be spending a lot of time (and possibly money) to make a very unique car. My question is this: will it have enough power for you when you are done and have gone through all of that trouble? A turbo motor will give enough power for most people's taste, so will a V8. A ZXT swap is much easier and will net more power than a N/A V6. Please consider that BEFORE you make a final decision! Otherwise you may end up regretting doing all that work after a month of driving the car.

Davy