HybridZ

Feasablilty of various turbo motor swaps...

QWKDTSN

Hi guys. Here's what's going on. I'm getting the itch to do my motor swap. I'm going to talk to my parents about financial backing. My dad built his own plane from scratch and is very 'into' mechanical stuff so I hope without too much effort I can get him excited in what I'm doing with my car, and get him thinking that if he spends some money on it and helps me work, it will be his car too. He loves his toys just like any guys. So I've been discussing motors with my buddies all day. They're in the progress of swapping an SR20DET into a 510. My friend Chris has a completely unlimited budget so he's just going nuts with everything. I really would like to swap a turbo motor into my 240Z. I know a V8 is simpler and often more cost-effective, but for some reason turbocharged middle-displacement engines (6-cylinders) have always been more my style. The engines I'm considering are the older Supra turbo engine, Buick V6, VG30DET, or older Skyline motor (RB25DET or whatever the designation is). What I'm looking for is something fairly cost effective, something fairly easy to find help with. If I had the budget I'd swap in a 3SJ Supra engine or RB26DETT in a heartbeat, but I seriously doubt I do. I'd be happy with an SR20DET, as well, since it seems to be such a flexible motor. Are there any manual transmissions that will work with the Buick turbo-six? I've got a lot of questions that I guess I need to sort out. What do you guys think?

In the US, I'd go with a GN motor first, then maybe the Supra. My preference would be the Buick GN. Just looking at what Scottie has done with slightly warmed over GN motor makes me think that's a proven reliable way to do it. Plus isn't that Supra motor pretty long? The handling with a GN motor set back ought to be great.

To each his own, they all can make lots o power!

• 1 month later...
Guest Speaker

you mean the 2jz engine right? 3sj is almost 3jz which is the turbo 4cyl in the MR2 turbo

If i had a lot of money I'd do a RB26DETT swap... or with a little less i'd do a 2jz-GTE swap...

rock bottom i'd do a 280zxT swap since its easy as pie compared to all the others...

a GN motor would be fun too...

but I think the best motor/$ you could do without going overboard is the GN V6 icon_smile.gif

I still think a 2jz equipped Z would be faster than a similarly equipped GN... you don't have to build the 2jz EVER and thr stock turbos can make up to 430rwhp... which is A LOT of power for a 2700lb car... with turbo upgrades from turbonetics like a T04 ballbearing, etc; you could be seeing 550rwhp for low 10s without too much effort...

trouble is affording it icon_razz.gif