HybridZ

280zx N/A to Turbo CV axles

69sroadster

So I've swapped in a set of used ZX turbo CVs into my 1979 N/A 2+2 and the right side is now needing a replacement.  I ordered one from autozone for an 82 turbo zx for the right side and it is too long.  Wierd, I would have thought that this would be the same longer length on an 79 N/A 2+2 but I guess I'm going to have to use the shorter left turbo CV on my right side.  Has anyone else run into this before?  All of the search discussions as usual covered swap issues into an older 240Z or 280Z.

Is it possible that what I have installed is not a turbo 280zx cv axle but an N/A cv axle, and that is why when I did get a right side turbo zx cv it didn't swap over?  What is the difference between the N/A and turbo ZX CV axle?  I'm beginning to think that i swapped out my u-jointed axles/stubs for N/A cv axles & stubs.

Traeg...it depends on what they are going into.  Older S30 models have a couple of options to pursue.

• 2 weeks later...

I measured out the lengths of my old N/A 2+2 axles (u-joint style) at 20" and 20.75" respectively.  Does anyone have the lengths of the turbo 280zx CV axles and/or the Z31 CV axles?  I'm curious if my R-200 2+2 S130 has some kind of different setup, which I would be surprised to learn and am not expecting.

Traeg, you should just need a set of the outer companion flanges and the CV axles from a turbo 280zx (tripoid CV joint) or a Z31.  I orderd two new nuts from MSA for the companion flanges and had a hell of a time getting those to break free on the car.  I also bothered to replace the rear wheel bearings while I was at this project and both stub axles.  I had someone tell me that my right rear wheel was wobbling pretty good although I couldn't feel it in the car even at highway speeds.  It was hard to see it, but the right side stub axle was slightly shearing at the base of it and had a small angle to it.  Maybe someday I'll swap those stub axles with some from TTT but for now the used turbo ones are holding up.

If your back end is good then all you would need are the CV axles, companion flanges and I recommend two new companion flange nuts...and some grade 8 fastners for the axle to companion flanges.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

roger280zx is correct , only ZXTs came with CV . I had the same problem when tried to get new axles for my 83ZXT ( after LS1 conversion ) . They were too long , tried at 3 different local stores . Got the boot kits and rebuilt mine ( boots were the reason y i wanted to replace them ) .

• 2 months later...

I've seen the cv axle lenghts listed as 14 11/16" and 15 3/4" for the 280zxt and 300zx n/a cv axles respectively....how is this measurement being taken? 

I was wondering if anyone can report the whole length of each cv axle from the wheel face side (the one with 6 bolt holes) to the tip of the diff gear input spline when compressed and extended.  For instance the right side '79 280zx 2+2 n/a (u joint) axle is 20" compressed and 21 7/8" extended.

This is going to help me figure out which type to order from the parts suppliers as they all seem to have their listings also a bit swapped around.

• 3 months later...

Just got a Z31 N/A cv axle (tripoid) with 6 bolt outers.  It measured out to 20.5" compressed from the outer flange flat surface to the tip and 23.0" extended.  Looks like I may get it cut down a 1/2" and call it good.  They didn't have a left side available but my guess is that it would just be even longer and not necessarily wanted.