HybridZ

Need advice on L28ET swap

Guest DrewZee87T

Guest DrewZee87T

I have an opportunity to get my hands on a 83zxt parts car for about 900 bux locally. The car has about 100k. The frames are rotted and owner is moving must sell. The owner is not that knowledgeable but the best info he has is that the car has 100k on motor, the previous owner upgraded the turbo to a larger turbo (he doesnt have a clue what), it has new "turbo" injectors and a "performance computer" and he personally installed a "LARGE Spearco IC ---wooohoo! icon_smile.gif.

My questions:

1. How do you identify the different types of injectors for a L28ET - I am really hoping when I look at this car to find nice blue JWT 420's in there, but does anyone know what the markings/color on the STOCK turbozx injectors are?

2. On the subject of performance computers, the only two companies I know of are JWT and Motorsports (who sells jacked up price JWT brains). Anyone know how to identify a 280zx upgraded JWT brain? Once again, I am hoping to really find a 88-300zx brain with a Ford MAF and 420's, but that would be too good to be true.

3. Any particular things to watch out for on the L28 turbo motor. I plan to run it and look for smoke, etc., get the turbo to spool and see it works, as well as compression test prior to buying it, but anything else I should watch out for would be good.

If this thing has a T3/4 and a spearco IC, compression and otherwise solid mechanically, I am going to steal it for sure and will do the swap on my 75..

Of course, then the questions become, should I just swap on the turbo and fuel system to my existent N42/N42 motor, or use the N42 bottom and P90 head, or whatnot...any help with doing weird combos would be good. I think the N42 I have currently is done over to 3.0l, but I haven't torn it down to verify prior owners claims since it runs fine. Thanks for the help.

Sorry the deal is not as sweet as it sounded. Sometimes it is just pure ignorance. He might have actually thought he bought a Spearco or was "sold" one. Chances are the turbo is stock but it is hard to tell from just looking at the exterior. A stock L28T t3 can have the turbine wheel upgraded and a GN compessor wheel stuffed into the stock housings. Looks bone stock but makes a potent upgrade up to 300hp+ if you have the rest of the system to support that HP.

He is the one in a pickle so make him an offer and haul it away. Get it running and see what you got and then take it from there.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear the deal wasn't as stated. Scottie raises good points, all of them. I think your idea of offering him an insultingly low amount is a good one. $1000 sounds like WAY too much. I wouldn't go over $500. (though its worth $500 to someone doing a swap into an early car, hell you know it runs, all the right parts are there)

Guest DrewZee87T

Thanks guys...

So my next question....why do people selling cars have to be such assholes?

I went and looked at it today.

It runs strong, no smoke, builds boost but the POS is on four flat tires so I couldn't drive it. Couple of things I had to point out to the owner:

The turbo is bone stock and has not been upgraded like he said. And the boost has been controlled by jacking the wastegate actuator rod...no boost guage other than the stock guage. Who knows how much boost this fool was running.

The SPEARCO intercooler (which the kid says he personally installed)is a stock core from a conquest (and very poorly installed with flexible hoses)

The brain is a dead stock ecu.

The "new" injectors look pretty frigging old and have the old style nissan fuel hose with the fiberglass stitching stuff.

So, having been lied to by this idiot about almost every relevant fact I am still debating whether to offer anything for it.

He is in a spot and needs the car gone. I may tell him I will give him $300 and tow it away for him. Or I may just call him back and tell him to call me when he's ready to have it removed at no charge.

I could probably get all this crap at the junkyard for less than $400 and not have to worry about parting a car and getting rid of the body.