HybridZ

Where are the L6 engine-hoist chain mounting points?

QWKDTSN

I think I found the first one (just behind the fuel pump) but can't find the rear one for the life of me. Where should I hook up the rear of the chain? Maybe with one of the bolts for the intake manifold (removed)? header stud? I just can't find the right point and none of my books are specific (hook up chain to front and rear hoist points).

...seems like someone (previous owner?) has removed the rear lifting eye. It is normally located on the drivers side rear of the head.... you can attach your lift chain to the rearmost intake manifold bolt with a homemade plate (ensure it is tightened so the bolt is kept in shear) and hoist away

Guest Anonymous

Lol, I wrapped the chain around the intake manifold on my 240z carbie motor and pulled it with the carbs on it... But I wasn't putting it back so neatness wasn't a concern. Honestly though it worked great, and didn't hurt anything.

Regards,

Lone

Okay, no big deal. I just attached the chain to the block in one of the intake manifold bolt locations. I took off the intake manifold and headers to make my life easier a day or so ago anyway. Pulling the stock motor is not hard at all. Just borrowed a load leveler from my neighbor/boss and yanked that sucker out of there, a little at a time. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get the hoist's legs under the car. They cleared the front air dam by about 2 inches vertically and the front tires by about an inch on either side horizontally. My dad was worried we wouldn't have enough room to maneuver in the garage but everything went smooth as silk. I've got the engine bay halfway ready to go, just need to cut into the wiring harness icon_smile.gif My motor's in the machine shop, I need to pick up my clutch and bellhousing and get my flywheel resurfaced. Order clutch master, and this, and that, and.. I'm really on my way now!! icon_smile.gif