HybridZ

free flowing yet relatively quiet performance exhaust

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

like the heading says, i want to add a performance exhaust to my 240z, but i want it to be pretty quiet at cruising speeds. what would you guys recommend?

Ken, you might want to consider two mufflers in line to get the sound down to a reasonable level without harming performance. Some guys that have a resonator first in line and then a muffler still complain about a droning noise at speed. From my reading, it seems that the guys that have used an actual muffler, even if it is a straight through design (for the first in line) and then a larger muffler at the back end of the car, have significantly cut the noise and have no/little droning. I bought my system used from a guy on the board with his assurance that it was a "quiet" system. (it is not hooked up yet, so time will tell, but the quality of the system tells me it is for real) The system is a single 3" mandrel bent system which starts with Y-pipe into a Borla stainless steel racing muffler (straight thru) going back to a large Dynomax Superturbo Muffler and chrome tip. The large 3" tip is not rice because I have the mechanical cajones to back it up icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this helps.

Davy

When I had an L24 in my Z, I had Motorsport Auto's 2.5" system on it with a Sonic Turbo muffler in the back. It droned like crazy. I added a 2.5" bullet muffler in the tunnel (it had two pipes in it and was packed with fiberglass, more of a muffler than a glass pack) and it help ONLY a little.

Be careful with pipe sizes. If you only need 2" or 2.25" for good flow, stay away from 2.5".